Question Massive CPU issue with my i7-4800mq!

Jul 31, 2024
I'm currently on a laptop, I use ThrottleStop and task manager and alot of other things including completely modifying my power plan settings (My processor performance decrease threshold is 0% while the increase one is at 100%), and my CPU is undervolted by -70 on CPU and cache. Yet, my CPU refuses to budge or increase it's frequency to 2.7 Ghz, I have completely abandoned trying to get it to 3.0 Ghz (Even though it can boost to that), and I am purely trying to get it to it's base speed, might someone help me in my goal? And, just something you should note before replying, yes, I have modified my registry in an attempt to get my CPU to atleast stay at it's base speed, yet it does not want to. Thank you for reading. (Base speed is 2.7 Ghz. The CPU is I7-4800MQ. I do not have any thermal issues, and, I do not have any drivers that are either old, or, could affect performance. And, only ThrottleStop can increase the frequency to 2.7 Ghz by setting the undervolt to -100.)

@NuclearReactor
If you have made some random changes to your Windows power plan and now you are having problems, open up Power Options and press the Restore plan defaults button to reset your power plan. Reset any changes to the registry that you made. The Maximum processor state needs to be set to 100%.

Most of the tweaks that are recommended on the internet are not necessary. They can cause more problems than they fix.

Post screenshots of ThrottleStop including the FIVR and TPL windows. ThrottleStop can fix a lot of common problems but it needs to be setup correctly. Most internet guides are for newer CPUs. The 4th Gen CPUs need to have SpeedStep enabled when using Set Multiplier.

I have a very similar 4700MQ that runs great so I should be able to help you.

kevpRDd.png

Jul 31, 2024
@NuclearReactor
If you have made some random changes to your Windows power plan and now you are having problems, open up Power Options and press the Restore plan defaults button to reset your power plan. Reset any changes to the registry that you made. The Maximum processor state needs to be set to 100%.

Most of the tweaks that are recommended on the internet are not necessary. They can cause more problems than they fix.

Post screenshots of ThrottleStop including the FIVR and TPL windows. ThrottleStop can fix a lot of common problems but it needs to be setup correctly. Most internet guides are for newer CPUs. The 4th Gen CPUs need to have SpeedStep enabled when using Set Multiplier.

I have a very similar 4700MQ that runs great so I should be able to help you.

kevpRDd.png
I woke up to this notification and booted up my computer immediately, it's currently 3:27 am for me that it, and I apologise for responding a bit late and I apologise if I have bad english. I have taken a few images that might help you.
OHf0dhI.png
lGtZ05p.png
VQ2Ba2E.png
U3Ffawh.png

Anything above 70 is unstable, Therefore i cannot rely on ThrottleStop to mitigate my issues. I also do not have the option to adjust maximum processor state in my power plan settings.

cdVdLfB.png

The problems arose before any adjustments were made to my registry or powerplan, i even switch to the genuine "High performance" power plan and noticed only a 30 point difference when compared to my plan on CPU-Z's stress test. (my plan was 30 points higher if i wasn't being clear)

i cannot rely on ThrottleStop to mitigate my issues
The way you have ThrottleStop setup is causing your issues.

To run at any speed higher than the 2700 MHz base frequency, Intel Turbo Boost must be enabled.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...4800mq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-70-ghz.html

You have Disable Turbo checked and you have lowered the turbo ratios in the FIVR window. The default turbo ratios from top to bottom when not overclocking are 37, 36, 35, 35. Your turbo ratios are all all set to 27.

Do not check Power Cut until you know how to use it. Get your CPU up to full speed first.

The Maximum processor state setting should be under Processor power management. If you have access to that setting, make sure it is set to 100%. Anything less can disable Intel Turbo Boost. Setting this to 99% disables Turbo Boost.

8uHQVQB.png

The 4th Gen CPUs need to have SpeedStep enabled when using Set Multiplier.

Set Multiplier does not work when the FIVR - Non Turbo Ratio is set to 1. Enable SpeedStep and set the Non Turbo Ratio to 0 if you want to use Set Multiplier. If you are not overclocking, Set Multiplier should be set to 37, not 27.

Anything above 70 is unstable
For my 4700MQ, any core or cache offset voltage setting above -40 mV is not 100% stable. All CPUs are unique. If you are not 100% stable at -70 mV then try -60 mV.

If you are still having problems, post some updated screenshots.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2024
The way you have ThrottleStop setup is causing your issues.

To run at any speed higher than the 2700 MHz base frequency, Intel Turbo Boost must be enabled.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...4800mq-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-70-ghz.html

You have Disable Turbo checked and you have lowered the turbo ratios in the FIVR window. The default turbo ratios from top to bottom when not overclocking are 37, 36, 35, 35. Your turbo ratios are all all set to 27.

Do not check Power Cut until you know how to use it. Get your CPU up to full speed first.

The Maximum processor state setting should be under Processor power management. If you have access to that setting, make sure it is set to 100%. Anything less can disable Intel Turbo Boost. Setting this to 99% disables Turbo Boost.

8uHQVQB.png

Set Multiplier does not work when the FIVR - Non Turbo Ratio is set to 1. Enable SpeedStep and set the Non Turbo Ratio to 0 if you want to use Set Multiplier. If you are not overclocking, Set Multiplier should be set to 37, not 27.

For my 4700MQ, any core or cache offset voltage setting above -40 mV is not 100% stable. All CPUs are unique. If you are not 10

0% stable at -70 mV then try -60 mV.

If you are still having problems, post some updated screenshots.
Yes, I understand.

My goal is to maintain a constant and unwavering 2.7ghz, Turbo boosting would be nice, but I have no thermal head room due to climate reasons, My Laptop doesn't overheat but it has barely thermal head room.

For my 4700MQ, any core or cache offset voltage setting above -40 mV is not 100% stable. All CPUs are unique. If you are not 100% stable at -70 mV then try -60 mV.
My CPU is 100% stable at -63mV, I verified this using multiple prolonged tests. Lasting several hours.

I think, as I am not sure, that 27 multiplier should force my CPU to stay at 2.7 Ghz, Correct? If I am wrong, I would like if you corrected me, as I am not sure. And, I did use your recommendations in the way my ThrottleStop is setup. I will now send multiple pictureof my ThrottleStop Program and it's settings. I hope it's correct.
YmAIi3Q.png
9h6Lvea.png
kRL8HqV.png

As you might've seen in the previous image, my frequency dipped to 2.18 Ghz. Could I know why? Thanks for responding and taking the time out of your day to help me.

Last edited:
Could I know why?
Enable SpeedStep.

my frequency dipped to 2.18 GHz
Open the Limit Reasons window when testing. Does Limit Reasons show any boxes lighting up red under the CORE column when the frequency dips?

Copy and paste your log file data to,
www.pastebin.com

Clear the More Data box before you start logging data.

What is the Windows Maximum processor frequency set to?
What laptop model do you have?