Question Massive Ryzen 7 3700x idle boosting problems

Aug 21, 2019
Greetings,

I have just bought a R7 3700x and paired it with a Gigabyte x470 AORUS GAMING 7,since it was the same cost as a X570 Aorus ELITE in my region,but it's a lot more flashy and I didn't need the PCI-e Gen 4,since there is no gain really in it for me over Gen 3,but it sure is more expensive.

Now to the problem,when my PC is in idle,so there is nothing at all open(except Ryzen Master of course,to monitor core behaviour),it idles at arround 60 °C with 1.45v going only to one core,with the rest asleep.

Now my question is,is this normal,that only one core is active constantly running at 1.45v?
I have all the latest drivers,latest bios and chipset update(with Ryzen Balanced Power Plan enabled).
Even if this is okay for the procesor and the silicon itself,it is definitely not okay for my ears,since I only have the stock coooler for now(which does get pretty loud at 60 °C,even with the custom fan curve I've set).

Also just one more thing,when I boot into Windows,for the first minute or so,the boosting seems to be fine with it frequently switching beween cores and idling about 40 °C(silent and normal for the stock cooler).

Also also,there is no problem when gaming or at load,all cores boost with 1.39v to around ~4200-4300MHz,still 100 under the 4.4 advertised,but I get this is normal for most chips ,especially with the stock cooler.

Hope you can help,thank you in advance!

Aug 21, 2019
Well thats what I tought too,but for some reason it is always like that,and just that one core,the first one(#1) which indicates there is something constantly worked on it,at least I think?Becouse when I start doing something (like moving the cursor) the other cores finally activate and run at like 400 MHz,but that one ALWAYS stays and 4250-4275 MHz.

Seems there isn't much I can do except a virus scan or a fresh install of Windows.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Open Task Manager, Processes to see what is making the CPU work all the time.

I also have the Ryzen 3700x on an Asus B450 motherboard.
My all core boost speeds max at 4225 MHZ so yours is just fine.
The advertised 4.4 GHZ speed is for single core only boost speed.

You can manually lower your voltage and idle speed in Windows by selecting the Windows Power Saver mode from Power Options when you are just idling or not gaming, as a workaround.

Andy

Reactions: McWolf98
Aug 21, 2019
Thank you,I've found that WMI(Windows Management Instrumentation) used 10% of the CPU at idle,and since shuting this process down would break a lot of apps,I just restarted it,which seems to have fixed the problem.I will look further into it,since there is a process that is causing the WMI to bug out, there should be some guides online on how to find it.As for now,I am still idling at 42-44 °C ,but at least the cores are behaving normally, running at 300-400 MHh,still at 1.45v though.

Hopefully this is normal and if so,my problem should be resolved.