[SOLVED] Massive screen tearing when fps is close to native refresh rate

MarbleXeno

Commendable
Dec 6, 2020
Hi. So i have a problem. I experience massive screen tearing when the fps is close to the native refresh rate. My monitor is only 75hz. For example, when i have 300fps in game, i can't see any screen tearing (i know it's still there, but it's less visible), but when i hit for example 80 fps i can see screen tearing, and it's more visible, but the game is still smooth, the screen tearing's lines are just bigger (idk how to describe it). It only happens on full screen. My monitor only has FreeSync and not GSYNC and i can't enable any of this things. So it works like this:

85FPS - screen tearing that is not really a problem (for some reason i can't use this >)
<85FPS - smooth gameplay but massive screen tearing

GPU: MSI GeForce 1660ti GAMING X
MONITOR: Acer KA242Y via HDMI.
Latest Windows 10 build and latest nvidia's drivers.

I've always thought that screen tearing happens, when there's more frame rate than monitor's native value.

Solution
Try turn on vsync + limit fps to 74 and see how you go if you notice any tearing and input lag from vsync. Little trick i learnt, used to do this with a 60Hz screen and it worked for me.

Only if monitor had Displayport then you could have tried enabling Gsync.

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
Screen tearing comes from a mismatch between the rate at which the graphics card prepares frames and the ability of the monitor to display them.

There is also the issue of input lag.
Here is an older article that discusses the issue.
It applies to GTX1xxx cards but should be applicable to yours:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/13

If you have an option for triple buffering, give that a try.
Do you know how to test the frame rates and determine the mismatch from there?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try turn on vsync + limit fps to 74 and see how you go if you notice any tearing and input lag from vsync. Little trick i learnt, used to do this with a 60Hz screen and it worked for me.

Only if monitor had Displayport then you could have tried enabling Gsync.

Solution

MarbleXeno

Commendable
Dec 6, 2020
Yeah, thanks! I totally forgot about a Fast Sync. This piece of magic feels very nice, especially with single player games. I'll try capping my fps to 74, i was thinking about that and that even makes sense, because in windows display settings my monitor's refresh rate is 74,973 hz so maybe that's the point.