[SOLVED] Massive speed decrease after computer is on for awhile?

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
This is very odd but I was having internet issues a few weeks ago out of no where that seemingly resolved on their own. Right now I'm getting incredibly slow speeds both via ethernet (literally 1down) and wifi (roughly 5 down).

If I power cycle my router, computer, modem I usually get about 500+ down... but then a few minutes or an hour later its at an unusable crawl. Im not seeing a lot of similar issues via my google searches.

Solution
This is very odd but I was having internet issues a few weeks ago out of no where that seemingly resolved on their own. Right now I'm getting incredibly slow speeds both via ethernet (literally 1down) and wifi (roughly 5 down).

If I power cycle my router, computer, modem I usually get about 500+ down... but then a few minutes or an hour later its at an unusable crawl. Im not seeing a lot of similar issues via my google searches.

This is a known issue with the Killer E2400 network adapter that can be found on the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7 and many other gaming motherboards. The default driver (the one included with Windows and updated via Windows Update) results in a memory leak in the kernel which can only be resolved via a reboot...

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
It seemingly only affects my computer? My phone is getting as good/better connection via wifi than the ethernet on my PC.

I can get onto my router yes but I have no clue what I'm doing from there

I have the TPLink AC1900 and its firmware is completely up to date as of today.

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
reboot the router and & modem separately and see if you can narrow it down to which one is causing the issue.
Good idea, I will for sure do this but I can't right at the moment, wife is watching tv and our home is all smart TVs streaming etc.

Lets pretend I hook the PC up to the modem directly and everything seems fine.. then it would be the router right? I have no idea how/what to config though. My modem's firmware is handled by the ISP.

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
reboot the router and & modem separately and see if you can narrow it down to which one is causing the issue.
Does this affect only one device (your computer) or does other devices on the same wifi also suffer from bad performance ?

Are you able to log into your router ?

So upon power cycling the router the first speed test I got (ethernet) was 130Mbps, immediately following that 60, now 37.5 (these are all back to back to back). After typing this the speed test was 180Mbps, right after that it shot up to 300 and then each second it just fell and fell and fell and it was 169Mbps, shot up to 320 and finished at 68.3Mbps (these were all done within 3min) I feel like in 5min it will be at 5Mbps...

Update: Powercycled the modem and computer, now Im hooked up from modem directly to PC (no router). 551Mbps download, 462, 551, 548 (all within 2min). So... router issue? I have to hook router back up now (wife). So I can't see if these modem speeds sustain.

The router is the TP-Link AC1900 very capable and not even a year old.. so I'm not sure I want to just buy a new one?

Last edited:

This is a known issue with the Killer E2400 network adapter that can be found on the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7 and many other gaming motherboards. The default driver (the one included with Windows and updated via Windows Update) results in a memory leak in the kernel which can only be resolved via a reboot. Update the driver to the one on the manufacturer's website (https://support.killernetworking.com/software/ ) and reboot your PC.

Reactions: Grobe
Solution

cctaylor88

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
This is a known issue with the Killer E2400 network adapter that can be found on the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7 and many other gaming motherboards. The default driver (the one included with Windows and updated via Windows Update) results in a memory leak in the kernel which can only be resolved via a reboot. Update the driver to the one on the manufacturer's website (https://support.killernetworking.com/software/ ) and reboot your PC.

Ah this would potentially be it. So I juts want to be sure I'm downloading the right thing. Do I need to uninstall anything first?

Here is a picture of what I installed.

After install and reboot im getting slow speeds. Like it will shoot up to 300+ and then just continue dropping lower and lower until the test ends

Last edited: