Massive stuttering in most games, cpu bottlenecking?

Nate8

Commendable
Apr 17, 2016
I just upgraded my gtx 760 to a gtx 1060 3gb and now my games have been freezing and stuttering so much and it wasn’t like that before. It happens so much in more intensive games like battlefront 2 and battlefield 1. My setup is:
-FX 6300 @4.3ghz
-Hyper 212 evo cooler
-8gb DDR3 1333mhz (old but had no issues before)
-550W Bronze cerified psu
-EVGA GTX 1060 3gb
-1tb HDD

Im getting frame dips from the 80’s down to 40’s in some scenarios, also looking at certain vehicles in battlefront 2 drops me to 55fps which should not be happening with this new GPU so I assumed it was my CPU. But I ran some tests and lowered graphics quality to 50% and I was getting super high frame rates in the hundreds and the lowest it got during a 40 player match in battlefront 2 was 76 (from cpu). So why am I having these FPS dips and stutters when I’m getting 80fps maxed out if the cpu is the one bottlenecking ?

Solution
That stuttering did not happen earlier because there were not enough frames produced to cause stuttering. Stuttering is noticeable when you suddenly drop from 80 to 40, and less noticeable when you suddenly drop from 50 to 40. What is happening is that your CPU is not able to keep up the minimum FPS. Meaning, you are still getting the same minimum FPS as when you had the old card. Now, your maximums have increased and therefore resulting into stutters. CPU is a definite bottleneck for that graphics card.

However, I would still give it one more try to eliminate all other possibilities.
1) Clean install latest graphics drivers (uninstall current, safe mode, run DDU, reboot, install new drivers, reboot)
2) If step 1 doesn't resolve or...

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
That stuttering did not happen earlier because there were not enough frames produced to cause stuttering. Stuttering is noticeable when you suddenly drop from 80 to 40, and less noticeable when you suddenly drop from 50 to 40. What is happening is that your CPU is not able to keep up the minimum FPS. Meaning, you are still getting the same minimum FPS as when you had the old card. Now, your maximums have increased and therefore resulting into stutters. CPU is a definite bottleneck for that graphics card.

However, I would still give it one more try to eliminate all other possibilities.
1) Clean install latest graphics drivers (uninstall current, safe mode, run DDU, reboot, install new drivers, reboot)
2) If step 1 doesn't resolve or improve the issue, I would clean install windows again. Back up the data in C drive, and do a clean installation of windows, and start with blank slate. This helps in a lot of situations.

If both dont resolve the situation, then it is certain, that this system needs serious hardware upgrades to keep up with the 1060. If you can't upgrade the system right now, treat your new graphics card as a 1050ti and reduce settings, and turn on vsync. This will result in less stuttering as you will be limited to 60 FPS assuming your monitor is only 60 Hz, and also it will produce a slight input lag. But, it will be better than the stuttering that you have currently.

Solution