Matrox PCIe Provides 8 DisplayPort Outputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
"Consumers wanting a wall full of PC gaming goodness will need to fork out a whopping $1995 USD for one card."

I cant even begin to explain how exceedingly ignorant this sentence is.

No one in their right mind will buy any Matrox card for any sort of PC gaming.

Considering that the ATI 5000 series cards can each support 6 display port monitors, through daisy chaining, and that a 5770 is likely more powerful than that matrox card, just about anyone would be better off with two 5770s.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Matrox has always been the # of monitors king. They have also been the performance lemming. They make Intel integrated graphics look like the cutting edge of performance.

Eight monitors, wouldn't that put the monitor seam right down the middle again? (uhg)

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
"The M9188 is designed specifically for professional monitoring environments that require visualization of large amounts of data at once to enhance mission-critical decision making," said Ron Berty, Business Development Manager, Matrox Graphics.
As you can see, Matrox isn't even targeting gamers with their products. They're only in the professional sector since about a decade ago.

Consumers wanting a wall full of PC gaming goodness will need to fork out a whopping $1995 USD for one card.
This sentence was written by Tom's Convenient.. I mean Tom's Hardware, so no need to bash Matrox.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
$1299 for an 8 port card seems reasonable compared to buying 4 graphics cards and have no pcie slots left. This setup is for linux boxes and airport monitors as well as displaying stock charts or multiple security cameras or running your own digital tv station.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]Seriously, how can Matrox still be afloat?[/citation]
They sell pro products for multi monitor single card solutions, don't think any other company could compete with them and still can't. You don't need to sell video cards for gaming to make money.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
It's sad how 3DLabs died out but Matrox survived, since Matrox is Canadian, I believe, perhaps the Canadian Gov't kept them afloat with subsidies? I was a real 3DLabs workstation graphics fan back in the day. Time does moveth along.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
This is slightly off the subject but I used to build computers for a print shop years ago & I always put matrox graphics cards in them since they accelerated 2d or workstation type graphics better than the competition at the time & had cleaner visuals. Nowadays nobody tests 2d graphics anymore. I think the print shop wants me to build some more computers again but I don't have a clue which card would work best now. They use adobe programs & some corel. Do any you guys have a link for some 2d video card testing or have any ideas.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]gto127[/nom]This is slightly off the subject but I used to build computers for a print shop years ago & I always put matrox graphics cards in them since they accelerated 2d or workstation type graphics better than the competition at the time & had cleaner visuals. Nowadays nobody tests 2d graphics anymore. I think the print shop wants me to build some more computers again but I don't have a clue which card would work best now. They use adobe programs & some corel. Do any you guys have a link for some 2d video card testing or have any ideas.[/citation]
Matrox is still a great card for 2d apps. And in many cases, cheaper for the performance when compared to AMD and Nvidia's workstation offerings. I've built a few Matrox workstations, and they've performed admirably. And for a printshop who wont be doing 3d rendering, they're still the logical choice.

2d performance has a ton more to do with Drivers than it does raw horsepower.

G

i haven't about matrox in a long time. its interesting to see there are more the just the main 3 left.

G

we use matrox cards for our process control rooms. One dcs system, four monitors. It has been 7 years since install the quad monitor systems, i think we might actually go with an eight monitor setup per dcs. Monitoring trends on one set and alarm/pressure indication on the other set.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
I used to be a Matrox fan, ahh, good old days of Millennium/Mystique, G200 Series ...

they messed up with Parhelia, big time, sure it has 512 bit and stuff, but with no optimzation/compression. it was a joke and it almost killed Matrox.

After that they start playing "better be safe than sorry" game and left the performance game.

oh well.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Nice card. Lots of RAM too, which actually surprises me.
I'm just imagining a X58 board with 4 of these cards in it, and a Matrox TH2G in each one, running (4 cards x 8 displays per card x 3 monitors per port) 96 168 0x1050 monitors... 169,344,000 pixels... (assuming all horizontally lined) 161,280x1050 resolution at a aspect ratio of 153.6:1. Not that would be wide screen gaming goodness.

Someone send me a screen shot of a pic like that. -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.