Matrox Users where are you?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KillJoy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd like to say that Matrox will always be my fav. video card manufacturer as long as they keep putting out quality cards.....I just got the 6 meg upgrade for my Matrox Mystique and it still kicks..... unfortunately it's in my fathers computer now because A) No 3Dfx, i'm not a huge gamer, but I enjoy one now and then and the matrox couldn't keep up and B) my dad was using an ATI, so anything is better than that.

G

Hi,
I have no probs with 5.52 except in games, using wim98se. Is 6.04 any better for games or is just an upgrade for win2k?
at to the monitor thing, I guess I have more questions poping up every time someone answers one. Is there a resource where I can browse and discover most of the ins and outs of multimonitor support/rendering?
thanks,
j

G

Hey!
G200 user sounding! 2 years old but still doing a quality job.
I love 3D games. I haven't heard anything about a G800. What are the rumur mill specs.

I was looking at the RT2000 for my coming soon video editing system, but if matrox is bringing out a new card soon, I might wait to see if they replace the G400 for this G800.

My Kindom for a Horse, or a fully loaded AMD 760 chipset system.
Take Care!

Fredi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes :)
But in Win2k the taskbar is spanned over both monitors and if you click for full size windows it's also across both monitors. Just not the way one can work with it like in Windows9x.

Fredi
Tom's Hardware Guide

Fredi

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just don't know any solution for the DUAL HEAD Win2k problem, yet. Maybe there is one, but then it is well hidden. The only way out I know of would be to have really 2 different graphics cards.

Fredi
Tom's Hardware Guide

Mag

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Apparently Matrox can't get around the problem because its to do with Win2k recognising a card as a single card regardless of how many displays it can handle so the displays have to be exactly the same. They say it's too deep in the kernel for them to be able to change.

Mag

bojon1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The matrox users are here, but a silently praying for a upgrade to the M400. (which blew the doors off anything 2 years ago, but is now merely usable) The M450 is a sad joke.
The real question is, where is Matrox. I'd gladly jump back on their bandwagon.

G

Just in case no one knows ...
Matrox RULES ..... Full Stop..
i have a PCI Millenium II 4 Mb WRAM (still goin hard)

AGP G200 16 MB ...

and plans for the New G400

G

I have a system with dual 600 MHz. PII. ASUS P2b-DS. I have bought a TNT card for it in the beginning, then upgraded to the Matrox G400 Max with dual head (two monitors 21" and 19"). I have looked at newer graphics card, reasonably bought a 1 GHz AMD with Geforce 2 Ultra for another guy. BUT I will not give up Dual Head with two monitors for some better game performance. I can live with 1024x768 compared to not having dual head. Else I maybe have to buy two Graphics Card for my next system. P2B-DS is at the end of the line.

By the way do anyone know how to upgrade P2B-DS to faster CPU's?

G

Yep but what about two 21" monitors. I think the support in 2000 sucks. They already have the code for Win 98. Just implement again. I know it not work that way with copy paste. But why make a extremely good product look that bad in a new version.

And what about running TWO maximized applications is that working. I stick to Win 98 until the driver is fixed/done.

G

Matrox has not released any info on the G-800 yet. Word from the MURC is that the G-800 will be released sometime in December or January with some "special features".

Andy

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, they (MURC) said that the specs would be... almost the spec of the rivlling nv50 or anything like that, a tad slower I think. So, it would be a good upgrade and <i>maybe</i> the DualHead in w2k will be fixed.

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>ENTHUSIAST</b>!

G

Okay, what about the g450 and win98. Can I use dual monitors and set the res differently on each one? What about the pop up Fredi mentioned, is it adjustable in 98 or will it always pop up in the center of the two monitor/split?
j

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Er, can't answer all your questions, but DualHead on w98 can be run in different rez. Actually the TV-Out under w2k can also be run on different rez, on 85Hz+ and the other 50Hz for the TV.

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>ENTHUSIAST</b>!

G

thanks for the input, I'm ordering a g450dh today and will set it up over the long Thanksgiving weekend. I'll post back with my impressions.
j

G

you would have to have a hefty unit to watch a dvd and do other ap on other screen.

Take care.

G

You're absolutely right there. I use a Matrox Millennium 4Mb card for a second display and that works alongside my GeForce 256 really well.

My other system runs Win98 with a G400 Max Dual Head..all features run well and I LOVE the fact the all display modes can be fully customised. I wish my NVidia card could do that!

A dual-head fast Matrox with 64Mb of fast DDR RAM that worked as well in W2k as it does in Win98 would be a dream come true. I hope one is forthcoming..

G

Just another devoted and avid Matrox user to add to the list... (started with G200 and moved up to G400 Max)

This card kicks. All my games (new too) still scream and the dualhead is awesome (kinda like a wheelmouse... once you've tried it, you can't go back).

Come on Matrox and get that G800 out there!

G

I still use my marvel G200TV AGP card although I bumped it up to 16mb of memory and added DVD hardware. I'm waiting until the G800 comes out and it has been reviewd by Tom's Hardware.

G

not ..they used to be ok
for old games like quake 1(in 640*480) or blood1(perfect in 800*600) ..
I have a rotten matrox mystique btw. 4-5 years old
it does not even support open gl in hardware :/
give me the money and I'll buy something else..

G

Here's a (former) Matrox disciple for ya,
changed from Diamond to Matrox some 3 cards ago and sticked with it ever since, until ..
Matrox has the best, clearest image I ever seen, I've had a Millennium, G200, G400, .. my pc case and monitor have written Matrox all over them.
Still..
I just upgraded to PIII 800EB and now I have a .. GeForce II 64 GTS Pro (decided to go for pure speed this time).

Happy computing!