Question mATX MOBO suggestions?

Feb 23, 2019
So I’m trying to finalize my build and a MOBO is the last component I don’t have. Build consist of:

Ryzen 7 2700x
Giga GTX 1060 6gb
Corsair RM650x
Corsair 280x mATX case
Corsair LL120 fan kit(3)
8gb DDR4 2400 Adata ram(haven’t bought new ram due to MOBO choice)
240gb m.2 ssd
1tb hdd

I currently run the b350m Bazooka with it, without any issues. And honestly it suits my needs and light dabble with Overclocking. I’ve basicslly decided to get a new one for the fact that I’ve upgraded everything else literally. Looking for some suggestions on a good MOBO, most likely the 400 series. Don’t need anything crazy. Something that can handle a little Overclocking, and a rgb fan header. There just isn’t as many mATX boards as there are atx, but so far I like the Asus Prime b450m-a. I also see the 450m bazooka v2 from MSI. Let me know what you guys think or recommend/stay away from, etc. thanks for reading

Feb 23, 2019
Doesn't really seem like motherboard upgrade is that much of necessity there. Quite a lot of expenses and work just to get onboard RGB fan header. Meh.

I had thought the same thing realistically. My b350m has one rgb 12v header as it is and I don’t even use it as all my addressable stuff is through the Corsair software. I guess my concern was seeing as it’s a little older board, of my 2700x could use something more. Appreciate the input

Feb 23, 2019
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.99 @ B&H)
Total: $84.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-06 09:09 EST-0500

I had actually looked at this MOBO a few times. My only concern with that one in particular, was the 2 ram slots. My current bazooka has 4. Actually may pick up the bazooka again but in the 450 series v2

So I’m trying to finalize my build and a MOBO is the last component I don’t have. Build consist of:

Ryzen 7 2700x
Giga GTX 1060 6gb
Corsair RM650x
Corsair 280x mATX case
Corsair LL120 fan kit(3)
8gb DDR4 2400 Adata ram(haven’t bought new ram due to MOBO choice)
240gb m.2 ssd
1tb hdd

I currently run the b350m Bazooka with it, without any issues. And honestly it suits my needs and light dabble with Overclocking. I’ve basicslly decided to get a new one for the fact that I’ve upgraded everything else literally. Looking for some suggestions on a good MOBO, most likely the 400 series. Don’t need anything crazy. Something that can handle a little Overclocking, and a rgb fan header. There just isn’t as many mATX boards as there are atx, but so far I like the Asus Prime b450m-a. I also see the 450m bazooka v2 from MSI. Let me know what you guys think or recommend/stay away from, etc. thanks for reading
Sadly, B450M Mortar--hands-down the best AM4 mATX board (check Buildzoid's youtube review if you need to ask why)--doesn't seem to be available in US any longer. If you have a source to get one at reasonable cost go for it. The B450M Bazooka is a good choice as is Asrock B450M Pro4. I think MSI's B450M Gaming Plus gets a lot of nods (probably since Mortar's absence) if you don't mind the garish color scheme.

Since MSI added offset voltage adjusment to BIOS they are a great choice even for a 2700X so avoid Asus and Gigabyte mATX boards because their VRM's are very weak for overclocking. Asus' better BIOS just isn't enough anymore.

And oh yeah: if you're not considering this move from the B350M Bazooka to have better overclocking potential then you're probably just as well off staying with it. Even MSI's B350 mATX boards are quite decent, IMO at least.

Reactions: KeyMB
I had actually looked at this MOBO a few times. My only concern with that one in particular, was the 2 ram slots. My current bazooka has 4. Actually may pick up the bazooka again but in the 450 series v2
Do you really need 4 ram slots? That's a serious question because using all 4 loads the memory controller and generally limits the memory clock speed potential.

And once again: if you're moving from a B350 board then I can't imagine what's influencing the decision unless it's to improve on overclocking potential.

Feb 23, 2019
Sadly, B450M Mortar--hands-down the best AM4 mATX board (check Buildzoid's youtube review if you need to ask why)--doesn't seem to be available in US any longer. If you have a source to get one at reasonable cost go for it. The B450M Bazooka is a good choice as is Asrock B450M Pro4. I think MSI's B450M Gaming Plus gets a lot of nods (probably since Mortar's absence) if you don't mind the garish color scheme.

Since MSI added offset voltage adjusment to BIOS they are a great choice even for a 2700X so avoid Asus and Gigabyte mATX boards because their VRM's are very weak for overclocking. Asus' better BIOS just isn't enough anymore.

And oh yeah: if you're not considering this move from the B350M Bazooka to have better overclocking potential then you're probably just as well off staying with it. Even MSI's B350 mATX boards are quite decent, IMO at least.

thanks for the input. My reasons for board upgrade was honestly nothing but putting something a littler newer, and maybe a bit beneficial for the overclocking. Ive just started getting my feet wet with it and was just curious. But i do know that my 350m bazooka is a decent board, no complaints there at all

Feb 23, 2019
Do you really need 4 ram slots? That's a serious question because using all 4 loads the memory controller and generally limits the memory clock speed potential.

And once again: if you're moving from a B350 board then I can't imagine what's influencing the decision unless it's to improve on overclocking potential.

i understand your theory with the rams slots and i truly probably dont need all 4, as ive only ever used 2x 8gb and 2x 16gb kits in my other pc. And as far as influence goes, it was a overclocking thought and being curious as ive started getting my feet wet with it a little more with the 2700x. another influence was the sheer fact of putting/building new components in a full build, the mobo being the only thing i truly havent looked into. I really appreciate the responses and info.