Question mATX vs ATX noob question

Sep 15, 2023
Hello, Im new to this but is there any minuses with mATX vs ATX other than few lack of additonal slots or is there something else im not aware of, like power compsumption etc.. ?

Im considering between these MOBOS:

1) ASUS TUF GAMING B650M-E WIFI (mATX)
2) ASUS TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI (ATX)
3) MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI (ATX)

The mATX seems cheaper and has mostly everything as the other mobos (which I actually ran into some reviews that have some problems with Ryzen 7800x3d and bios) but I might be incorrect, what do you guys think?

Solution
Just a smaller form factor, meaning a smaller chassis and overall scale of the build, but that doesn't mean you're losing out on performance, unless you want to choose sub par parts. Personally, I own the B650i Edge WiFi board which has just one PCIe slot.

Lutfij

Titan
Just a smaller form factor, meaning a smaller chassis and overall scale of the build, but that doesn't mean you're losing out on performance, unless you want to choose sub par parts. Personally, I own the B650i Edge WiFi board which has just one PCIe slot.

Reactions: WutisDat
Solution
Apr 11, 2024
You will need the correct chassis that matches the form factor of your motherboard. Be aware of that.

Smaller Formfactor chassis have not as good airflow and less space for cooling. Your Hardware might run hotter and clock down. Or your coolers might run louder (noise-level) to cope. Also less space to upgrade, some GPUs might not fit, and if you do add components the air flow will get even worse.

Not saying it's necessarily bad to have mini-ITX or micro-ATX. There are plenty of options in every form factor to make good builds. I owned a mini-ITX myself a few years back and was very satisfied, mostly because it was much more subtle on my desk and i wanted something smaller.

Between ATX and micro-ATX isn't that much of a difference. The big difference is if you choose a mini-ITX ;)