Max Ram in Single Slot, If only 1 Stick Used.

ExileStudio

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
So recently one of my RAM slot on my Motherboard stopped working for some reason.
I know this because both of my RAM sticks work in 1 slot but doesn't on the other one.

I heavily use my pc for Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush and many memory intensive programs, together most of the time.

My mobo (MSI H81m-P33) has 2 DDR3 slots and the MSI Manual Says it supports a Maximum of 16 GB RAM.
Does this mean i have to use 2x8gb sticks or can i use a 16 gb stick in 1 slot?

There was a similar question asked in the forum but his motherboard specification specified that he could use a 1/2/4 gb sticks in one slot while my motherboard's manufacturer website does not.

Solution
Is your motherboard out of warranty? If not, a replacement is needed.

However, looking at the manual, it also doesn't specific. Using one stick of 16GB could work, but could also slow down processes since it isn't able to share the data in dual channel.
Is your motherboard out of warranty? If not, a replacement is needed.

However, looking at the manual, it also doesn't specific. Using one stick of 16GB could work, but could also slow down processes since it isn't able to share the data in dual channel.

Solution

ExileStudio

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015

Yeah i think so as well. I checked with crucial advisor and there was no single 16gb stick supported so i am guessing a single slot won't support that, at least not officially.

ExileStudio

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015

Yes the motherboard is in warranty. It had a 3 year warranty luckily.
As it turns out, the mobo doesn't support a single 16gb stick after all. Ofcourse it could work if i'm lucky but since it's not officially supported, i'm not gonna go that route.
I'll get an RMA as soon as I can.
Thank You. :)