Maximum DDR3 module size?

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
What is the maximum DDR3 module size?

I want to buy a specific laptop with 16GB RAM, because it only has 2 RAM slots. The chipset supports 32GB RAM, but I can't find 16GB modules anywhere. Is this the limit of DDR3?

Solution
For all intents and purposes, 8GB is the maximum available for a single stick of normal (non-ECC) DDR3 RAM. While the chipset on the laptop may support 32GB, the chipset is likely used in many different laptops from many different manufacturers; some manufacturers will equip their laptops with 4 slots, and some with 2 slots. With 2 slots you're essentially limited to 16GB, regardless of the fact the chipset can cope with 32GB.

Damn_Rookie

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
For all intents and purposes, 8GB is the maximum available for a single stick of normal (non-ECC) DDR3 RAM. While the chipset on the laptop may support 32GB, the chipset is likely used in many different laptops from many different manufacturers; some manufacturers will equip their laptops with 4 slots, and some with 2 slots. With 2 slots you're essentially limited to 16GB, regardless of the fact the chipset can cope with 32GB.

Solution

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011

This is server RAM and is ECC. I would need SODIMM which fits into laptops.

As Damn_Rookie mentioned, it is not available for regular workstations, let alone laptops.
I guess that's all I need to know, thanks.