[SOLVED] Maximum & minimum processor state & Turbo boost Question

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
I'm wondering what exactly maximum and minimum mean, I've tried looking up on this myself and it refers to "power."

Does this just give the frequency range the system will prefer when running?

I have a laptop and I heard that I should set my CPU max state to 99% which turns off turbo boost in order to save energy and heat when not playing games. Is this all it does?

Sometimes I turn on turbo boost with throttle stop and use it within a certain frequency to optimize for temperature and performance when playing games and it works regardless of setting max to 99%. Does this have any affect on performance in any way?

States: https://prnt.sc/1vrnbgv
Throttle: https://prnt.sc/1vrn8zg

Solution
min max in power settings are for cpu frequency range
if you set it to 99%, it will run about 100MHz below stock clock and turbo will not activate
so if your CPU stock clock is 2100MHz and 3600turbo
at 100%, frequency will go up to max turbo
at 99% frequency will go up to 2000MHz
if you set it to 99%, it will run about 100MHz below stock clock and turbo will not activate

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Wow, thanks! I had no idea it made that big of a difference. That explains why my 2.3 base is always at 2.2 when not in best performance mode.

I am able to use turbo boost regardless with throttlestop without issues and usually go to 2.9 Ghz even with it being at 99%. This shouldn't cause any performance issues?

@ShangWang - When using ThrottleStop, do not set the Windows Maximum processor state to 99%. It is not a good idea to create a situation where Windows wants the CPU to run at one speed and ThrottleStop is telling the same CPU to run at a different speed. To avoid these conflicts, it is best to leave the Maximum processor state at 100%.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
@ShangWang - When using ThrottleStop, do not set the Windows Maximum processor state to 99%. It is not a good idea to create a situation where Windows wants the CPU to run at one speed and ThrottleStop is telling the same CPU to run at a different speed. To avoid these conflicts, it is best to leave the Maximum processor state at 100%.
Sounds good, thanks.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Other than disabling turbo boost, is there any other benefit to keeping the maximum at 99% on a laptop or no?