Maximum support of memory (RAM)

Feb 16, 2018
My motherboard broke so i had to use old one with old ram and processor, i have 4 sticks of ram 4x2gb. I was wondering,i was reading that my old motherboard only supports maximum of 4gb ram , it has 4 ram slots tho. Can i install my 8gb? Will it work? or it wouldnt just turn on?

Specs:
Windows 7 64bit
Mobo MS-7383 (G31M2 V1)
GPU GTX 1050
CPU Q9550

Solution
You can certainly try it. Sometimes it's a limitation of the chipset &/or CPU, other times it would appear to be a limitation of the era (ie 1GB modules were much more common vs 2GB modules)

Even when the limitation is XGB modules (in this case 4x 1GB modules), you can typically achieve that with 2x2GB.

It'll either not post in the event it can't accept 8GB, or it will post but not detect >4GB. .

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You can certainly try it. Sometimes it's a limitation of the chipset &/or CPU, other times it would appear to be a limitation of the era (ie 1GB modules were much more common vs 2GB modules)

Even when the limitation is XGB modules (in this case 4x 1GB modules), you can typically achieve that with 2x2GB.

It'll either not post in the event it can't accept 8GB, or it will post but not detect >4GB. .

Solution