Question Maximum system memory GA-73PVM-S2h

Dec 3, 2020
I have a Giagabyte S series GA-73PVM-S2H Motherboard. In the manual it says the board has 2X1.8V DDR2 sockets supporting up to 4GB of system memory. So I assume each slot should support a 4GB DIMM. But when I go to the Gigabyte memory support list I find no recommended memory above 2GB. I have tried a 4GB DIMM in one slot and the computer boots up with no problem. I tried putting a 4GB DIMM in one slot and a 2GB DIMM in the other and the computer boots up and recognizes 6GB, but I have had no luck with 8GB.
In my view this board should support 8 GB, but can't find any recommended ram above 4GB ram at all. Since I have Windows 10 on this board and it's part of a media HTPC, 8 GB is kind of important and I don't want to buy another Board and Windows 10 as well. The documentation for this board is ambiguous, especially when i comes to system memory. Can anyone help me?

Dec 3, 2020
If that is the case then why can I install 6GB of ram and have it load up windows 10 with no problem and be recognized by Windows 10? There are others that have installed 8Gb with no problem. It may be a bios issue, but it appears this board is capable of 8GB. That's an important consideration with Windows 10. I put to different ram DIMMs totalling 6GB without have to change voltages at all. I agree with what you're saying, but it appears this board can handle 8 GB instead of 4GB.

Dec 3, 2020
Yes even if that board says 4GB it seems you can install 8GB on it.

It appears that way. I had Windows Vista on it, and Vista is no longer supported. Vista was sure a waste of money. So I put Windows 10 on it, and even though Windows 10 will work with 4GB, for a really robust HTPC, 8GB is the sweet spot. Still trying to get 8GB to work. I know 6GB will work , so will keep trying. I'm just trying to save a few bucks and keep this motherboard out of the landfill. 4B DDR2 ram is getting harder to find these days. Maybe I can find a beta bios out there that will address the ram issue, but there isn't much out there for this board. It's not a bad board, once it's setup, but today I wouldn't have a computer without a minimum of 8 GB ram. Really like the site for the information you and all the members provide. Wishing you all well in cyberland.