Maximus VII GENE: RoG Or Maximus VII Ranger?

MoShU23

Reputable
May 21, 2014
Hello, looking at building my PC and I got two motherboards:

ASUS® MAXIMUS VII GENE: RoG, PCI-e 3.0, SATA 3.0, USB3.0 and ASUS® MAXIMUS VII RANGER: PCI-e 3.0, SATA 3.0, USB3.0

I would like to know the difference between these two, leaving aside the size. I looked online, but could not find a good comparison.

Thank you.

Solution
The best thing to do in a comparison is open both motherboards in two links and check the differences for each individual feature, But I'll list them.

VII GENE has;

3300MHz ram speed support. This is determined by CPU FSB anyways, so doesn't even matter.

VII Ranger;

Lot more features
Larger size
3x PCI-E 2.0 X1 ports compared to one on the GENE
6x USB 3.0 Ports vs GENE's 4 Ports. Both have 7 USB 2.0 ports.

Apart from those spotted differences (there are many more, features like exclusive Asus ROG software for the Ranger which doesn't do much), there practically the same.
The best thing to do in a comparison is open both motherboards in two links and check the differences for each individual feature, But I'll list them.

VII GENE has;

3300MHz ram speed support. This is determined by CPU FSB anyways, so doesn't even matter.

VII Ranger;

Lot more features
Larger size
3x PCI-E 2.0 X1 ports compared to one on the GENE
6x USB 3.0 Ports vs GENE's 4 Ports. Both have 7 USB 2.0 ports.

Apart from those spotted differences (there are many more, features like exclusive Asus ROG software for the Ranger which doesn't do much), there practically the same.

Solution

endeavour37a

Honorable
One odd thing I noticed, the Ranger shows a M.2 socket in the image of the board yet says Nothing about it at all in the specs, strange......it sure looks like a Hero to me LOL

To me the Ranger looks more like a cut down Hero than a Gene, the power is a big difference also....