Maximus X Formula Or Aorus Gaming 7

Oct 3, 2018
As the title says really.

I'm a few days away from buying one or the other and I've been watching/reading numerous reviews on each.
So.. thought I would ask you guys.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.
Both are the Z370 boards and they're going to be supporting the i7 8700k.

Asus Maximus X Formula
Or
Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7

Maximus X.

More granular controls in the bios. For example, the ability to make DRAM voltage changes in increments of .005v, rather than .020v. Better fan controls in the bios by a long shot. The ROG boards, and to some extent most of ASRocks mid to high end boards, just have much better bios options and granularity than Gigabyte. Nothing wrong with the quality of Gigabyte, my Gaming 5 and Ultra boards have never had an issue, I just had to go back to ASUS due to the lack of fine tune controls in the Gigabyte bios and this has been a problem since the Z170 era.

I think the physical locations of headers, distance from socket, etc., on the ASUS boards are a bit better as well. Just better layouts.

I could go on and on, but suffice to say I also have achieved a lot better overclocks and memory configurations after switching back to ASUS than what my Gigabyte boards would allow.

It's a lot of little things that make the difference, and nothing major you can point directly at one or the other lacking. Simply put, the devil IS in the details, and the small things being absent will end up driving you up the wall when it comes time to tune your build.