Maxtor Hard Drive Heating Problems

t3chb0y

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
I use the 250GB Maxtor ATA 133 Diamondmax 10 in my external hard drive..

Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16822144422

Enclosure :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817145656

The thing is that I'm really fed up with the heat it gives off..

When the hard drive is on full load...the enclosure gets pretty hot...

However , often times ...many drive errors appear like partition corruption probably due to the heating of the hard drive..

Is there anything I could do to make it cooler or etc?

I regret buying a drive from Maxtor

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I have the exact same drive (with 16mb cache) and I can report that mine runs VERY quiet and pretty cool also - though I try to keep it away from my 10k drive as that thing is a beast for heat.

Anyway, my point is if you're getting drive errors and a lot of heat I'd be inclined to say it's your enclosure.

Try mounting the drive internally for a bit and see if the problem persists.

t3chb0y

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
I have the exact same drive (with 16mb cache) and I can report that mine runs VERY quiet and pretty cool also - though I try to keep it away from my 10k drive as that thing is a beast for heat.

Anyway, my point is if you're getting drive errors and a lot of heat I'd be inclined to say it's your enclosure.

Try mounting the drive internally for a bit and see if the problem persists.

well I had a plastic enclosure once and the hard drive would always crash..so I bought a better one but it's still having problems...

since when did maxtor drives this size run cool?

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I'm just saying - mine runs at a normal operating temperature (as opposed to overheating, as yours apparently is) and is stable as.

Try it inside the computer, you might be surprised. I know Maxtor have a bad rep in some areas, but I really don't see why - they're cheap, and in my experience have always been reliable, quiet and have had no temperature issues. In fact I have Maxtors as old as 7 years, no problems at all. Compared to all the WD and Seagate drives I've had fail, Maxtor are untouchable.

SHv2

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Welcome to the world of Maxtor. The only real solution is to make sure you have plenty of air, within reason of course, flowing over it. In most cases that should be plenty to keep it nice and cool.

allhell

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Just put a 80mm cooling fan in front of it or buy an external case with a fan built in fan & aluminum case would be better.
Quite a few of those maxtor drives do run hot like that.

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
maxtor does run hot , a friend of mine has a external maxtor drive and dam that thing runs hot like hell, it's aluminium case doesn't make much, sometimes i think you could even frie an egg on top of that.

bikeyron

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
My Maxtor runs really hot. My W.D. doesn't run no where near the temperature that Maxtor does (DiamondMax Plus 9 200GB Sata.
It runs so hot that I start recieving errors after about an hour. It also has a balance problem. I can feel excessive vibration when it is running. I have always bought Maxtor and have never had any problems before. Maxtor will not stand behind this after only less than a years use. It ask me for the serial, and not my recipt to determine the waranty.
I will now buy and :fou: build all computers with W.D. hdd's.

n45w73

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
I had an external hard drive like that few years ago, the hardrive was getting really hot inside the casing ....

one evening I got my drill and made 40ish strategics holes in the casing !

not more heat problems ! I had that external running for a long time ...
until ..... I dropped it on the floor and cracked the corner of the casing in few places... harddrive was still running fine tho ;-)

G

I am not really sure where to begin with my problems with Maxtor/Seagate. Is it their really untested external hard drives, internal drives that crash (as of today, I will be calling about my third one) or just their bizarre policy of "We know you spent $150.00 on a new drive just 8 months ago, but we only replace with a refurbished drive" policy that has this company smelling of scam, scam, scam.

Think about it. You spend anywhere from $99.99 and up for a brand new drive. You might get 6 months from it and it then get replace by a used drive that was "repaired and tested". I have lost most every memory of a loved family member that I had on my hard drive. Don't get me wrong, it is not their fault that I bought an upgrade for my computer. It is not their fault that I trusted their product in my computer. It is not their fault that I did not back up my system (and actually..they told me that). It is my fault that I trusted a company to create a product that would give me some sense of security. As I was told by one technician. You are lucky that you got 8 months from one of our drives. Now...you have to pay to send it back and get a used one. Would rather go back to pencil, paper and snail mail than use one of their garbage products. :fou: