Maxtor HD Problems

G

Just bought a new Mastor UDMA/66 30 GB hard drive yesterday and I am having some problems with it. It is currently the master drive and a 6 GB Quantum Fireball drive is the slave. I have an Asus P2FB motherboard running a P3 800 with 256/mb RAM.

The problem is after installing Windows the OS seems to be busy doing something in the background. This is right after installing it, nothing else but Windows installed. Whenever I open explorer the cursor changes back and forth from the hourglass to the pointer, about every other second or so. It also happens whenever I am installing games or software. I installed EverQuest and it kept switching back and forth during the installation. I thought "No problem, as long as it doesn't do it during the games." Wrong. I loaded up EQ and got in only to find the entire game kept slowing down and then speeding back up!?

I have the DMA option checked on the drive inside device manager, but I don't have UDMA installed because I am not sure where to get the drivers.

Have also flashed my BIOS recently so I don't think that could be it.

Any ideas? Should I just return the Maxtor and get something else?

Glycerine
glycerine_@usa.net

G

which version of windows?

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try placing the Quantum 6GB drive on the secondary IDE channel.
You can get the UDMA drivers from www.bmdrivers.com, from Asus's web site or even Intel's.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS