Maxtor's Shared Storage Does NAS At Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

badboy4dee

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
kwl review for this device. I wonder though if it allowed for mtu/jumbo, vpn security config n such. Prob not but that woulda been a nice touch.

The Silent Majority

deck

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
These home NAS storage solutions need raid 5 and support for at least 4 drives. Until then my old AMD 500 will continue to chug away...

serp9000

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
"But the fact that a user may wish to replace the drives has not been taken into consideration. Should a drive fail and you need to replace it yourself, you’ll have to take the unit apart and break the warranty seal."

If a drive fails and it's still under warranty, it would only seem logical to invoke the warranty protection and get a free drive. If a drive fails and it isn't under warranty, then breaking the warranty seal wouldn't be a problem. Doesn't seem like a particularly important detail.

G

What's the point of the tiny images where I can't read anything?

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]largerimagesplease[/nom]What's the point of the tiny images where I can't read anything?[/citation]
"...And so, with a clash of lightning that split apart the heavens, and with a mighty voice, God said unto Abraham: 'Click on the image twice you doofus!'".

I do agree that clicking on the image once to get the main image page, and then a SECOND time to get the full-sized image is stupid, but if they were to insert the full-sized image in the main article, the article would be pretty hard to read through.

I had one of those little warranty stickers on my old Mactor One-Touch. With a razor and some patience you can get that sucker off without breaking it.

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]serp9000[/nom]If a drive fails and it's still under warranty, it would only seem logical to invoke the warranty protection and get a free drive. [/citation]

Except that this will involve sending your still perfectly functional drive away, where it will be perused by whoever while you have no access to it yourself. Not an acceptable solution to me. This is yet another FAIL solution for home NAS, I'm afraid.

G

serp9000
the problem is you'll have to do without your data while you wait for the warranty work. do you really trust sending out your one good copy?

oldmangamer

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
Let me see...Raid 1 means you can replace a failed drive with a new one and the second drive (the "mirror") still contains the data. But now, you have to replace the failed drive so the mirror can be rebuilt...but you cannot without voiding the warranty. Do I have this straight? If so, this is simply a disaster waiting to happen. Especially with the high drive failure rate reported by customers. Still waiting for a good home NAS.

kschoche

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Performance is lackluster at best, especially in raid-0! Let me rephrase, performance is TERRIBLE.
The chances of the working disk getting damaged while shipping the whole box back for a single failed drive are WAY higher than the chances I'll damage it opening it, but considering the literacy of the users of such a slow NAS... I'll stick with my homebrew NAS kthx

You gotta go e-sata for performance. Then just share the drive for other users to access it. At the minimum you need a gigabit connection but for that to work you need gigabit through out your house.

Otherwise you're stuck at 100Mbit. USB is 480Mbit for a comparison of theoretical throughput.

[citation][nom]kschoche[/nom]Performance is lackluster at best, especially in raid-0! Let me rephrase, performance is TERRIBLE.The chances of the working disk getting damaged while shipping the whole box back for a single failed drive are WAY higher than the chances I'll damage it opening it, but considering the literacy of the users of such a slow NAS... I'll stick with my homebrew NAS kthx[/citation]

kschoche

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
eSATA will only work for computers w/in a few feet of the NAS. GigE through the house isnt that hard, just make sure you have a GigE switch somewhere, most recently built/wired houses have GigE wiring, its been pretty standard in terms of wiring for some time now. Cost of USB wiring throughout the house pretty much knocks that out. So GigE or .. well to be honest the performance on this system was so bad it'd be fine on 100Mb with the exception of only one graph which showed > 14MB/s results.

M3d

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
What were they thinking when they implemented Raid-1? The whole point is to be able to easily replace the defective drive, have the NAS rebuild it as soon as possible, and have some peace of mind that your data is again sort of safe. Now they want a customer to entrust their valuable data and send it off to who knows where to be viewable whoever.
Thats a deal breaker.

serp9000

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I suppose my imperfect knowledge of RAID arrays doomed me. I assumed that you would still be able to remove the data from the one working drive. Big fail on my part, it seems.

M3d

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Sure you can remove the data from the working drive but that would entail a user who has more than 500GBs of it to keep a backup drive for a backup solution. HDD are pretty cheap now a days, but nonetheless that in my opinion defeats the purpose of having raid1.

shovel

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I've had one of these units (the 320GB version) for over a year. I was after a simple, small, low power NAS box that could sit on my home network to store & share my families MP3 collection. I only use the Web interface to set it up (I don't load any software on my PC/s) and don't use the raid mode at all.

It works OK, but it is slow and has some quirks with media player (9/10/11 on 4 PCs) when playing files (VLC doesn't seem to have the same problem though). I also automatically clone my work to the unit every hour just as another repository. The unit gives the perception that it's underpowered (CPU wise, I assume it's some embedded processor running linux?)

One of the main reasons I bought this unit was that is was cheap & had an external USB HDD & Printer connector. I haven't used the printer port(yet), but I did buy an external eSata/USB2 drive enclosure in which I put a 500GB drive. I can plug this into the NAS box for extra storage or I can also plug the same unit(when required) into the eSata port on a couple of my PC's if I need some temporary extra(fast) storage(sometimes for video editing/converting across drives).

I'd give the unit 7/10.

spacecat56

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
My smaller/earlier Maxtor SSII has a severely disfunctional mediabolic UPnP server that is compatible with pretty much nothing and even fails tests in Intel UPnP validation suite. You seem to have just given the UPnP server in this NAS a "pass" based on its documentation... you really ought to test it and tell us if actually works.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
For the purposes of data security, a NAS device with two drives is preferable to one with a single drive.

For the purposes of data security, a NAS device with THREE drives is preferable to one with only two drives. Raid-1 with 3 drives FTW.

I don't know why it's so difficult for an empty Raid-1 box with 3 drive slots and GB LAN at a reasonable price to come to market. You would think that a simple Raid-1 controller chip in a plain black aluminum box would be cheap. Not $500.

G

I have been using this device for a few months now. It is very easy to modify it to include SSH and SCP functions if it is needed for secure communications. I love it.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I have not thought about this before but it would provide some positive benefits for my home setup. I could automate backups of my wife's computer, and access my data when occasionally using my laptop instead of desktop. And also upgrade my CPU's at different time frequencies than my data storage drives.

I think if one drive fails in one of these things, you buy another one, copy all your data over, then worry about repairing the failed unit. I wouldn't worry about lost warranty coverage, but would worry about ease of opening the enclosure.

G

This unit is complete crap. Even if your drive fails and you are under warranty your data is gone. Here is my recent chat transcript with Seagate tech support:

Jeffery H.: Hi, my name is Jeffery H.. How may I help you?
[ME]: I have the 1TB version of the SharedStorageII NAS unit. For the past couple of months it has been randomly falling off of the network, unable to be found by the installed software utility and unaccessible via the network share
[ME]: if i reset it using a paper clip in the reset hole, it would work for a few hours and die again.
[ME]: last night i reset it again
[ME]: it appeared to be working last night. this evening it is making a high pitched squealing noise and periodically making what sounds like a chirping sound
[ME]: the top light on the front panel is amber
[ME]: last night it was flashing b/w green and amber
[ME]: the bottom light is randomly flashing green
Jeffery H.: if its squealing and chirriping then you've got a failed drive.
[ME]: i have only used it for a total of about 6 hours, but am unsure how long ago i purchased it
[ME]: can you look up when it was purchased by the s/n?
[ME]: what is the warranty on this unit?
Jeffery H.: it has a 1 year warranty and seems to have expired
[ME]: i believe i have it configured in raid 10 (usable capacity is 500TB)
[ME]: is it possible to get it repaired?
Jeffery H.: We do not have a paid repair service and the drives are not field repairable.
[ME]: so it's a $500 paper weight?
Jeffery H.: Unfortunately at this point.
Jeffery H. has disconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.