[SOLVED] Maybe a boring question but choosing gpu for i7 6700k

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sonic9219

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
Hello people how are ya doing ? :)
i wont be using too much of your precious time let get to it.

I have Intel i7 6700 K cpu and decent asus tuf z270 mark 1 motherboard with samsung 500 gb nvme 970 stick of memory and gskill aegis 3200 mhz 16 gb ram sticks but i also have Msi gtx 760 OC twin 2GB hawk edition gpu which is decent but old for todays standards but it was amazing back then with that 256 bit bandwidth and OC on this gpu was good but its vents are fairly weak plastic and i have changed vents 2 times cuz of one propeller falling off and then fail as a ventilator cuz it stoped working. Now my friend gave me case fan to place in replace until i buy something better.

My question is : For this Cpu which card would bottleneck as less as possible, but also wouldnt make it sweat too much and be at 100% all the time while gpu is a lot lower then that ... i am looking for a perfect match so i get the parts longevity as well as performance....

i do a lot of video editing, i like element 3D so a bit of 3d modelling, photoshop, indesign, illustrator, light games as league of legends cs go and sometimes something more demanding like nfs heat and dying light 2 and i use cubase and fl studio for music production which this setup is mainly made for making music and video editing.

i have acer predator g-sync monitor 1080P with 144 hz and oc up to 185 hz. So i would like to make best out of it.

i would only buy asus gpus cuz of better quality materials used and rings on the vents so they dont brake and i trust them the most for now.
I would like something that isnt expensive but can work for a long time and use the most out of my cpu even when i get 20% OC on 5ghz turbo boost with my noctua nd-h15 cromax black and thermal grizzly kryonaut thermal paste.

can you please give me an advice on what are best bang for the buck options for my setup and daily use. but also not to breake my budget which i wouldnt set to limit your choices, but the red zone would be more then 500 or 600 usd so gpus up to a max of 600 bucks even that is a stratch i would rather be in a 200 to 400 zone but i dont mind buying used which is like new or whatever but i would ask you for a spec choice and model and search my own country market to see whats the price for it here. I hope i get decent advices with some reasearch proofs and videos and graphs and benchmarks confirming the claims so i can be sure its a trusted info and that i wouldnt make mistake of buying that gpu since im gonna be using it for next 10 years of my loan that im taking... gotta think smart ... thanks :)

Solution
If you list the country we can be of more direct help. At the moment we are looking at comparisons in price to performance only in general.

RTX 2060 6GB = $200 (EVGA single fan)
RTX 2060 Super 8GB = $385 (This is actually an improvement over the 6GB and 12GB 2060 on memory bandwidth)
RTX 2060 12GB = $410 (Another EVGA, they are closing down their GPU business)
RTX 3060 8GB = $310 (ASUS = $350) - keep in mind this loses 1/3 of its memory bandwidth and capacity over the regular 12GB card.
RTX 3060 12GB = $340 (ASUS = $365)
RX 6700XT 12GB = $320 (ASUS = $450)
RX 6750 XT 12GB = $380
Intel A770 16GB = $340 (Some driver issues, but most modern games run okay, older games are likely to have issues. Double check your software before considering)

sonic9219

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
I have a 6700 non-K system as my backup machine, and removed the GTX 1080 that was in it when I bought it, and put in a RTX 2060 Super. There was already some bottlenecking with the 1080, but I wanted to be able to run RT and DLSS in that machine, without running into VRAM issues, so that ruled out the 6gb 2060. A 12gb 2060, was also a possibility, but I was able to get the 2060 Super used for less money than a new 12gb 2060. I don't think the 6700 can really handle more video card than that. A 2070 non-super is also a possibility, maybe even a 12gb 3060.
oh thats amazing ! i tought the same thing, mine is K version and i was able to pull out an 20% overclock thanks to noctua nd-h15 cromax black and thermal grizzly kryonaut paste which gave me turbo boost on 5 Ghz which is quite good oc for an air cooled system on a motherboard not soo OC oriented. i think the rtx 3060 12 gb will give me the best out of my system :)

sonic9219

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
AMD GPUs typically use less power than Nvidia counterparts of same class and similar performance so if you are after lower power consumption you'll have to lower your performance expectation. There's no magic bullet there.
PCIe x16 slot can give only up to 75W of power so any GPU that uses more power has to have added power line.
Rx 6600 uses only up to 100W which can be lowered even more by undervolting.
that is the first time i hear that amd uses less power then nvidia ... i watched gamers nexus, linus tech tips and jayz two cents and they all refered to nvidia having more performance per watt values as well as slithly less temperature but that varies from manufactorer to manufactorer, also for professional use nvidia drivers are more stable and more reliable than amds ... if i purely gamed i would go full amd no doubt ! my friend has amd and its okay but i feel i get more from nvidia i dont know why... is it the tools and features or i dont know ... somehow i feel i get more :S

sonic9219

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
I'd love to see your country one day. Eastern Europe is beautiful! :giggle:(y)

Well, you won't get high-performance value from nVidia but it will be better for professional applications. At least, as long as you don't need a lot of VRAM because the budget you posted, even in the USA, would only get you, at most, an 8GB RTX 3070 Ti.

Hey, that's cool that you know what you need. I would recommend in your case that you should wait for the RTX 4060 Ti 16GB because it will have the best power efficiency and 16GB of VRAM for your professional work. It should also be within budget for you.

I don't think that you'll be able to do better than that for your uses.
Oh thats awesome, there is a lot of places to see in bosnia, and the nature is beautiful... its also country that is not expensive, but is also a low wage country so for people from usa is cheap to get and travel trough bosnia :) for the same trip in america everything would be more expensive and valued a lot more.

well yes but i would need a card that can do variety of things like after effects, premier pro, as well as element 3d with .obj objects modelled which is quite demanding but also 3060 12 gb is at the max edge i would give for a gpu even that is a stretch of my budget... i often do wedding photos and wedding videos with animations like opening at start etc, i also use it to make videos with animations for music creation and complete digital artwork as well as vector graphic design for web, for print etc but i need it to do okay in games too for that budget and that cpu, i know newer gives more but if i can spend less but still be close and manage to pull it out that would be my choice so i choose rtx 3060 12 gb

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Oh thats awesome, there is a lot of places to see in bosnia, and the nature is beautiful... its also country that is not expensive, but is also a low wage country so for people from usa is cheap to get and travel trough bosnia :) for the same trip in america everything would be more expensive and valued a lot more.
Yes, I would love to see Bosnia. There is so much history there. I'm from Canada and there isn't all that much history here. :LOL:
well yes but i would need a card that can do variety of things like after effects, premier pro, as well as element 3d with .obj objects modelled which is quite demanding but also 3060 12 gb is at the max edge i would give for a gpu even that is a stretch of my budget... i often do wedding photos and wedding videos with animations like opening at start etc, i also use it to make videos with animations for music creation and complete digital artwork as well as vector graphic design for web, for print etc but i need it to do okay in games too for that budget and that cpu, i know newer gives more but if i can spend less but still be close and manage to pull it out that would be my choice so i choose rtx 3060 12 gb
That should do you just fine then. I don't know how much of a help I've been but it was nice talking to you. :giggle:

sonic9219

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
Yes, I would love to see Bosnia. There is so much history there. I'm from Canada and there isn't all that much history here. :LOL:

That should do you just fine then. I don't know how much of a help I've been but it was nice talking to you. :giggle:
Haha i would love to go to canada and you would love to come to bosnia thats awesome 😁 Unfortunately its hard to get visa for canada so i wouldnt move to canada :S

Yes bosnia has history but no future, canada has future but no history xD

Anyways we stray from the topic, everyone was helpful and contributing in the result we have accomplished and im thankful for that honestly. I wasnt lost a lot i just needed pointers to choose from 1660 series rtx 2xxx series and 3xxx series compared to price and what i get to get most out of it for the money paid and i think we did just that :)

I hope you get to my country and its not a problem to guide you for your traveling if you come here and need a hand in that :)

Thank you soo much for a nice chat if you need anything dont hesitate to ask me 😁 hope to talk to you soon

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Haha i would love to go to canada and you would love to come to bosnia thats awesome 😁 Unfortunately its hard to get visa for canada so i wouldnt move to canada :S

Yes bosnia has history but no future, canada has future but no history xD

Anyways we stray from the topic, everyone was helpful and contributing in the result we have accomplished and im thankful for that honestly. I wasnt lost a lot i just needed pointers to choose from 1660 series rtx 2xxx series and 3xxx series compared to price and what i get to get most out of it for the money paid and i think we did just that :)

I hope you get to my country and its not a problem to guide you for your traveling if you come here and need a hand in that :)

Thank you soo much for a nice chat if you need anything dont hesitate to ask me 😁 hope to talk to you soon
I thoroughly enjoyed our chat my friend and it has been a pleasure. I hope to do a tour of the Balkan countries within the next five years so who knows what will happen? I hope to chat with you again soon as well.

Budi dobro prijatelju! ;)

TRENDING THREADS