Question Mayhaps you can help me with my great GPU mystery?

Ralroost

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2016
So I built a new AM5/ B650M system and was pretty excited. Little did I know what I was getting into.

Fast forward three weeks and the nightmare continues. From day one, something caused the system to lock up whenever I started anything graphics related. Or rather, the GPU. I'd start a game to test, it would immediately freeze, the game would be stuck "on", and nothing else graphics related would run.

After troubleshooting for quite a while, a friend brought over his GPU and we tried that one as well (with old drivers wiped and new installed). Exact same deal. We decided that had to be a faulty PCIE slot, and I sent the mainboard back. The replacement changed nothing.

More troubleshooting and I realized that the GPU won't run Opengl, but it will run Vulkan. Oddly enough, in the AMD software, it recognizes Opengl drivers for the onboard, but not for the card. I also noticed that while running Furmark, the GPU will pull max 170 watts when it should draw up to 230 max (according to the internet). I figured maybe this has something to do with a faulty PSU and returned that. I'm currently waiting on it.

This is the weirdest thing I've seen on a PC (albeit I've only owned a few PCs in total), and I have no idea what on earth is happening. It's certainly GPU related, but apparently not the card, since my friends reacted identically. I've also reinstalled windows and every driver after wiping them with DDU. I've checked every cable, updated BIOS and tweaked most tweakable things in the software. I've done memtest for the memory and cystaldisk for the SSD, both come back fine. System is MSI B65M gaming plus wifi, Ryzen 7600x, Vengeance 32gb at 6000m/t, WD Black 2TB SSD, and RX 6700xt. PSU is an EVGA Nova 750 (rated by PSU occultists as B tier).

If you could shed some light on this mystery I'd be eternally grateful. It seems like it's a driver issue but nothing rectifies it.

Lutfij

Titan
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? As for your PSU;
PSU is an EVGA Nova 750 (rated by PSU occultists as B tier).
Got a link to said unit?

I've also reinstalled windows
Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you install the OS in offline mode, to manually install all relevant drivers(in their latest version) in an elevated command?

Ralroost

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2016
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? As for your PSU;
PSU is an EVGA Nova 750 (rated by PSU occultists as B tier).
Got a link to said unit?

I've also reinstalled windows
Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you install the OS in offline mode, to manually install all relevant drivers(in their latest version) in an elevated command?
https://www.notebooksbilliger.de/evga+supernova+gt+750+750w+pc+netzteil+731427
It should be this one, though I didn't pay that much lol

The installer was put on a thumbstick from the MS website, so yes installed offline. I also tried installing AMD drivers offline. What would an elevated command be?

Ralroost

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2016
Seems like a common enough problem on AM5 and 24.5.1. Reportedly OpenGL may even actually work until you reboot.

Try disabling the onboard graphics and rolling back to 24.4.1.
It is? I haven't really come across this issue so far. 24.5.1. opengl you mean? If so, how exactly do you roll back opengl since it's integrated in GPU drivers?

24.5.1 is the latest AMD driver package from May. 24.4.1 is the previous AMD driver from April. AMD GPU drivers are named year.month.version

Note if you install a driver that's way too old and has known security vulnerabilities, WindowsUpdate will push a newer one with no OpenGL capabilities at all, but just one month older should be OK.

Be sure to disable the IGP in the BIOS for now.

Reactions: 35below0