Question MB & CPU Combo Help

giacona

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
Hey All,

I have not built a new system in about 10 years. The online place I used to get my MB/CPU Combos out is no longer around. They were great because once you picked a MB they would show you the processes that were compatible and so on.

I am looking to an Asus MB/CPU Combo using an AMD Processor and it needs to be Windows 11 compatible.

I have a2 Samsung EVO SSD drives from my current system I plan to reuse and would also like to use my current power supply ( XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply) if possible.

Am I better off going to a store like Microcenter, or is there any online retailers I should check? I tried Amazon and it does not look like they pair up a MB to CPU. I've been out of the game a while do I'm not sure what to be looking for.

As for my budget, right now I am looking to spend around around $700.00 or so for a MB & CPU combo. I will consider increasing my budget if needed.

Would appreciate any suggestions

kanewolf

Titan
Hey All,

I have not built a new system in about 10 years. The online place I used to get my MB/CPU Combos out is no longer around. They were great because once you picked a MB they would show you the processes that were compatible and so on.

I am looking to an Asus MB/CPU Combo using an AMD Processor and it needs to be Windows 11 compatible.

I have a2 Samsung EVO SSD drives from my current system I plan to reuse and would also like to use my current power supply ( XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply) if possible.

Am I better off going to a store like Microcenter, or is there any online retailers I should check? I tried Amazon and it does not look like they pair up a MB to CPU. I've been out of the game a while do I'm not sure what to be looking for.

As for my budget, right now I am looking to spend around around $700.00 or so for a MB & CPU combo. I will consider increasing my budget if needed.

You probably have to add RAM to that "MB and CPU combo". Current generation AMD uses DDR5.
The https://pcpartpicker.com/ website will allow you to pick a CPU and ONLY show compatible motherboards (or vice versa).

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey All,

If that power supply is 10 years old it needs replaced also.

If you live near a MicroCenter then they offer the chip/memory/board in combos.

Can't recommend anything because you never stated what the PC is used for, for limiting your motherboard to just Asus is not something I would do.

giacona

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
If that power supply is 10 years old it needs replaced also.

If you live near a MicroCenter then they offer the chip/memory/board in combos.

Can't recommend anything because you never stated what the PC is used for, for limiting your motherboard to just Asus is not something I would do.
Thanks,

I am not a power user. I mostly use the PC for internet but do watch videos and use spreadsheets. I'm not sure if I should look into a dedicated GPU rather than using one that comes built in the motherboard.

I currently have an AMDFX8310 8 core 3.40 GHZ with Asus M5A97 R2.0 MB.

Let me know your thoughts

giacona

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2013
You probably have to add RAM to that "MB and CPU combo". Current generation AMD uses DDR5.
The https://pcpartpicker.com/ website will allow you to pick a CPU and ONLY show compatible motherboards (or vice versa).
I wanted to say thanks for sending me the pcpartpicker site. It really helped me out. I went with an AMD Ryzen 5700X processor and an Asus Rog B650-A motherboard. I also wound up getting 32GB of DDR5 6000 CL30.

I probably spent more than I should have on the motherboard but I have always used Asus and never had issue. In the past I had problems with MSI & gigabyte.