MB Suggestions

muss08

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
I am looking for a cheap (<$75) motherboard that supports c2d, ddr2 533, and AGP. Was thinking about the Biostar P4M800 Pro-M7 (49.99 newegg) but newegg has been out for a couple weeks. Any suggestions?

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Just don't do it.
All options use VIA northbridge chips which suck.
Either come up with the cash to use a PCI-E video card, go with integrated graphics on a modern motherboard, or do without until you can.

TMSter

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
I agree with Newf. If you really have to heard Asrock is good, but don't expect much as far as features they are pretty basic.
I never had one though, so do research. A friend did and loved it, but had an amd version and gives you an option to upgrade vid card later to 4x pci express. Has both in otherwords. Agp and pci ex. 4x not 16x
Asrock :p

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I agree with me too...
bouncingsmilie8mk.gif

If you had DDR (not DDR2) memory AND an AGP video card, then an AsRock board might get you through a few months with a new Conroe.
Since you are looking at DDR2 memory, I suspect you have an AGP card you want to keep and buy the rest for allegedly good performance. Don't do it. Even an AsRock board will be a throwaway when you get the $$$ to do it right. Keep generations of product together. Mixing them just becomes a poor man's headache.