[SOLVED] Mbr gpt windows 10 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppdemo

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
hello guys I need help, in windows 10 I converted the ssd disk with mbr partition to gpt using the mbr2gpt / convert command from cmd. Everything works perfect and windows works in uefi mode.
but it turns out that I want to install on another partition of another hard drive (HDD mbr ntfs) windows 7 and during installation it tells me that windows cannot be installed on the selected partition and before the conversion I could install it.
The first thing I thought is to convert the ssd to mbr again, with minitool partition wizard but in the attempt I get a sign saying that the disk contains system partitions and could be unbooteable.
also what I have set is that since I made the gpt convertion I get on the disk ssd 2 more partitions:
efi system partition
OEM partition (System Reserved)
I comment that I tried all the options from the bios and nothing worked for which I ask for your help to be able to also install the windows 7 on the other hard disk hdd as I did before,
having both operating systems. thanks all i hope your help...

Solution
Sorry Colif, but lot of what you wrote, is not true.

Windows 7 (64bit version) can be installed in legacy mode (MBR partition style) as well as in UEFI mode (GPT partition style).

Installing windows 7 after windows 10 doesn't overwrite boot sector. It overwrites bootloader with older version, that can not boot windows10. You fix this easy by booting from windows 10 install media and using bcdboot command and fixing bootloader.

By installing windows 10 after windows 7, bootloader gets overwritten as well, but this time windows 10 bootloader knows, how to load both - windows 7 and windows 10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the order of install is wrong
You should put win 7 on first and then 10.
reason being, win 7 has no idea what win 10 is and when you go to create the boot sector for win 7, it will wipe out the win 10 one.
If you put 10 on after 7, it knows all about 7 and will add itself to boot partition and not overwrite the details of 7.

install 7 as MBR since it can't boot off GPT
Then install 10 on other drive as GPT
no conversions needed. Only hassle is backing up info while you shuffle installs.

ppdemo

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
Yes, but I have Windows 10 installed on the SSD and Windows 7 would install it on the HDD. Shouldn't it work if I disconnect the ssd or disable it from the bios?
On the other hand, as I commented, having the ssd in mbr, I always installed and uninstalled the windows 7 at ease, even though the windows 10 was first installed. All this happened to me simply when from windows 10 I converted the ssd to gpt
Isn't there a way to return to mbr with respect to ssd without losing data?

ppdemo

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
I have finally decided to do a clean installation of windows 10 again. So now my question is:
1 what partition format to use? mbr or gpt?
2 should I format the disk with some third-party software before ?
3 The hdd disk where the system will not be installed, should it also be formatted in the same format as the ssd? Or is this irrelevant?

Colif

Win 11 Master
1 Do you want to Dual boot or only win 10?
if dual boot, Win 7 has to install onto MBR, so MBR as its the 1st thing you have to install
If Win 10, GPT.

You don't have to choose or do anything as if you install win 7 on a blank drive, it will use MBR. If you use Win 10, it will choose GPT.

2.No need to, if you clean install either it will include formatting drive in process

3.Storage is irrelevant. WIn 7 PC could use GPT drives as storage before Win 10 was released.

What you format storage as only really matters if drive is over 2.2tb in size
MBR can only access max size of 2.2tb
GPT max size is 18.8 million tb, so I don't think you have a drive that big yet?

GPT introduced to fix the max size issue

Sorry Colif, but lot of what you wrote, is not true.

Windows 7 (64bit version) can be installed in legacy mode (MBR partition style) as well as in UEFI mode (GPT partition style).

Installing windows 7 after windows 10 doesn't overwrite boot sector. It overwrites bootloader with older version, that can not boot windows10. You fix this easy by booting from windows 10 install media and using bcdboot command and fixing bootloader.

By installing windows 10 after windows 7, bootloader gets overwritten as well, but this time windows 10 bootloader knows, how to load both - windows 7 and windows 10.

Reactions: Colif
Solution
Jan 28, 2020
Hello guys

I was trying to install windows 10, but I got an error: "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only installed on GPT disks."

I already cleaned drive C: partition which contained windows. I wanted to format this drive in order to replace the new windows 10 with the last version. But now when I try to install windows I get that error which indicate that its only compatible with GPT hard disk.

I've read some solutions but I afraid to lose my data on other partitions by converting the disk from MBR to GPT. Therefore, I would like to know if there's any solutions without losing data on my hard disk.

I'm looking for another compatible operating system with MBR hard disk to install in order to temporary loading PC and moving important data. I would appreciate your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS