McAfee: It's The Largest Malware Rise in Four Years

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]Nakal[/nom]Wait, McAfee can detect Malware!?!?[/citation]

Oh yea, definitely. It just can't do jack in regards to removing it or preventing it from infecting your computer.

phantomtrooper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Unfortunately a single scanner isn't enough these days. You'll want your usual installed AV scanner, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Spybot, ESET Online Scanner (If you don't use NOD32 AV). If you want to go all out, add in Dr Web free scanner, TDSS Killer for a common rootkit (ironically from Kaspersky), House Call from Trend Micro and GMER rootkit scanner. Then to finish it off, make sure things are clean with Hijackthis.The first 4 are usually enough, but if you're particularly bad (or good) at getting infected, use the rest listed.[/citation]

It is considered bad practice to run multiple scanners on the same computer. Pick one and stick with it!

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]phantomtrooper[/nom]It is considered bad practice to run multiple scanners on the same computer. Pick one and stick with it![/citation]Uhh.... these are not active scanners. These are scanners you use to check your system for infections periodically. Some have active components, but you would not want to install them.

If you pick one scanner and never run a manual scanner, you're going to be missing dozens of infections.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Since no one mentioned these:
Sophos = Allow me to be infected and then tell me after the fact
ComcastAntiSpyware = Periodically block access to files so back-ups fail
Trend Micro (firewall) = Continue to scan networks I've un-authorized and block important packets

I've seen issues with every product out there at one time or another. Dumping them all and running in a virtual environment almost seems practical now.

aragis

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
[citation][nom]xendrome[/nom]AKA: Time to scare people into buying our crappy product.[/citation]
made me laugh out loud. no wiser words ever said, good sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.