[SOLVED] Me and my housemates cannot see Wi-Fi that I just recently set up but we can see our neighbors' wifi?

Aug 19, 2019
Just like the title says. I had recently set up a Wi-Fi connection (which I named 'chickensoup', don't ask me why I picked that name...) and after I had finished setting everything up and trying to connect to it, me and my housemates were unable to connect to it. It's not only me but other people can't connect to it too yet all of us are able to see our neighbors' wifi connections. What are the possible solutions to this problem of mine? I've been using mobile data in order to do my work and stuff and it has been pretty taxing on us. Another information is that I do set a password for the wi-fi if it helps?

Solution
And I will add that even if the ID (actually SSID) is not being broadcast then any properly configured network adapter will be able to connect to that network if that network adapter is configured with the SSID/network name, security protocol, and password.

Yes, routers for the most part do work the same way.

However the necessary administrative configuration screens can and do vary. Hence the need for User Guides/Manuals.

Look at your router: Name, make, model, version, etc. should be shown on some label or plate.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model router?

When you set up a wireless network all of the devices that need to connect (wired or wirelessly) must be configured to do so.

That configuration, via the network adapters, includes identifying the network name (i.e., "chickensoup"), matching the necessary security configuration (e.g. Wireless Security Protocols: WEP, WPA, and WPA2) , and providing the required password to join the network.

Aug 19, 2019
Make and model router?

When you set up a wireless network all of the devices that need to connect (wired or wirelessly) must be configured to do so.

That configuration, via the network adapters, includes identifying the network name (i.e., "chickensoup"), matching the necessary security configuration (e.g. Wireless Security Protocols: WEP, WPA, and WPA2) , and providing the required password to join the network.

I'm not sure about the make and model... but don't they all work the same way in general? (Sorry, I'm not tech-savvy...)

We cannot see the name "chickensoup" in the wireless connection list when we were trying to connect to it and regarding the Wireless Security Protocols, I might have to check the configuration again and the password is just a simple one.

Well any WIFI station in the neighborhood is normally visible, because they are normally set to BROADCAST their SSID for easy identification but to gain access to them, each would have their own password. Yours doesn't broadcast the SSID? When u fire up you smartphone, u can't see "chickensoup" at all?

Ralston18

Titan
And I will add that even if the ID (actually SSID) is not being broadcast then any properly configured network adapter will be able to connect to that network if that network adapter is configured with the SSID/network name, security protocol, and password.

Yes, routers for the most part do work the same way.

However the necessary administrative configuration screens can and do vary. Hence the need for User Guides/Manuals.

Look at your router: Name, make, model, version, etc. should be shown on some label or plate.

Solution
I don't know? What do you mean by broadcasting your ID?
Then you tried to configure this thing without the manual, we are using the correct tech terminology. Somewhere in the manual, it asks whether you want to BROADCAST SSID, and you should say YES.

Ever tried to WIFI connect in a public place, Starbucks? If there was no SSID or you don't know which one, then u can't tell what WIFI transmitter you want to connect to.

Last edited: