Mechanical Keyboard Switch Help

swelch46

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016
I have been doing a bit of research about mechanical keyboards. I haven't had a mechanical keyboard before, so it is completely new to me. I have decided that I want the Corsair k70 RGB, but I am still not entirely sure of what switches to get.

For some background, I am a college student, so I will be writing papers with this keyboard, but I game as well. Not a ton like I used to, but more of a casual level of gaming. Not really a competitive gamer, so have the absolute best in terms of reaction time doesn't matter to me. So I guess I am looking for a switch that is comfortable to type with, but also something that's decent for gaming. I like the idea of there being some level of feedback to the keys, and the clicking noise is really satisfying, but I wouldn't want it to be too loud.

From what I understand browns tend to be considered a happy medium between a good click noise and enough tactile feedback. Do you all agree? I also have heard conflicting opinions saying browns are quieter than reds? Is that true?

I also don't intend on modifying the keyboard or adding bands or anything to the keys. As well, I am pretty set on the k70, so I would appreciate it if people didn't suggest alternative keyboards unless the recommended switches don't come in any k70 models.

I have not been able to find any display models in my area of MX Switches, and when I have, they didn't display which ones they were.

TLDR: I need to know which switch would be best for me in my Corsair k70. I type a lot and also game a good amount, non-competitively. I like click sounds and feedback, but not too much of either.

Thank you all!

Ralston18

Titan
You are already on the right track by going out and trying display models. Return to the store(s) if you can and look at the back of the keyboards. There should be some sticker or label to help identify which one/keyboard it is. Or, hopefully, find a store person to help.

Also see if you can try various keyboards being used by fellow students, friends, and family. On campus look for computer labs, the library, resource centers. Try those keyboards but they may be just simple generic products. Often very abused and need replacement.

Hands-on will help you find a keyboard you like. Especially so as your requirements are very simple and straightforward.

If undecided between a couple of choices then seek some "verified buyer" reviews, product evaluations such as can be found in this forum. Check the manufactuer's FAQs and forums. Read the User Guide/Manual. See what other people are saying and asking.