MechWarrior 4 Cleared for Free Release

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i still have all my mechwarrior games or pc from the first one (mech warrior) to the last one (MW 4 mercs). This franchise single handedly turned me into a pc gamer.

Lutfij

Titan
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! MECHWARRIOR! ! ! ! ! ^______^

werfu

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I didn't played much of MW4 because it was buggy as hell when I first tried it. But I loved MW2 and MW3. I really hope the new MW will be great :)

jheregknt

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
The MekTek release includes the rare IS and Clan MechPaks as well as numerous new 'Mechs and weapon systems. Mektek has greatly improved the Original Microsoft release. This is for PC only, the entire download is free and does not require an original CD as with earlier Mektek projects.
Online Play is available though Mektek's MechMatch system which takes the place of the old Microsoft Zone server setup. go to the MekTek site for more info: MekTek.net

Intershield

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
This is great news for me. I absolutly loved the Mechwarrior series back then.
It would be great to get a new Mechwarrior game out on the market, I am sick of the kind of games out right now. The whole FPS thing is wore out bad. Gamers need some fresh mechwarrior simulations or something new.

noneedformonkeys

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I loved Mech3, the fact that you could slip in a Music CD into your second cd-rom drive and it played as the mission music was monumental. I could also send my personal music to all my team when online.
Sure I loved Mech4 too(+ clanner and dark knight expansion packs). I still throw in Mech3 or 4 for nostalgia. I still have two sidewinder-pro force feedback joysticks just for playing Mech :) (I used to LAN party Mech4, and kept two gaming pc's with force feedback joysticks at all times back then).
The Mech Commander series didn't impress me much, the consoles just do not play correctly, and the weapons options were lousy.

I have been waiting for another PC Mech game as anxiously as the cult of Tron has been waiting for Tron "Legacy" (Why show us a trailer in Febuary for a movie release on DEC 12??).

waiting

waiting

waiting

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
* I remember playing the battletech pods in Texas many years ago. They used Amigas and 3Dfx technology (if I remember right). They had battle-pod coffee clubs in many cities in the USA, Europe and Japan. But each 15min game was about $12. I only played about 5~6 times... to expensive.

I really loved the Mars-Miner race game and wish SOMEONE would make that game for PC.

** Mechwarrior is part of Battletech which was/is a turn-based RPG board game /turn 3D games. None of the robots designs of Gundam were used in Battletech. Much of the battletech designs were borrowed/bought from Japanese Anime. But eventually some designs were original and typically looked like crap.

Japanese KNOW how to make robots. In Japan, hobby stores have dozens of robots for you to choose from. We have nothing like that in the USA.

elrodvoss

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
When is the new Mechwarrior relaunch going to get past all of this legal bull and give us some info on the relaunch?

They came out with the videos almost a year ago, got slapped with a lawsuit and been dead in the water since then with no info.

Intershield

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
There was a few of those Pods over at Dave and Busters years back with Mech Warrior installed on them. I would go in there and dominate everyone, and there grandma. There really there was a few grandmas in there playing.
All and all it was good times.

zuke

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Awesome! God, I used to play so many hours of MW2 a week it was insane. Was even a part of the organized clan leagues with 2-3 hr weekend matches. Oh the days of gaming on a 56k modem...

bjmarler

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Anyone remember Battledrome, or similar name? Similar walking chassis and loadouts to MW. The game was a test arena only, a dark circular arena, but it had LAN/Modem hookup and was around the time of MW1 I think. Man I played that for ever with friends over the modem.

jheregknt

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
We are very aware that some of you are having problems using MTX to download and install the free release of Mechwarrior4: Mercenaries. We are currently preparing a self extracting executable to install the game without using MTX.

This new release will require a new download, but should alleviate any of the issues of installing via MTX.

This new release will contain some bug fixes for Mercs, and we will prepare a patch for those of you who have been successfully installing and updating via MTX as well as executable patches to bring any version previously downloaded, up to date.

Once this new version clears our beta team, it will be made available for download in your BitTorrent client of choice. Please be patient as this may take a few days.

We will continue to work on ironing out the bugs in MTX, until then, we will provide an alternate way to acquire the game and updates through the self installing executables.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Good hunting.
The MekTek Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.