Mechwarrior Movie

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wingless

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I started playing Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance because of this thread. I've had the game for years and never played it. Its fun as hell and takes me way back to my old Mechwarrior 2 days. I can't wait for the Mecwarrior: Living Legends Crysis Mod to be completed. It looks like it will be amazing. The Crysis Engine + Battletech = Badass + crappy framerates, just like Mechwarrior 2 in 3D circa 1997. In MW:LL you actually get to pilot tanks, aerotech fighters, elementals and of course battle mechs. You also get to run around as a foot soldier. Staring down the barrel of a PPC will be an all new experience on foot. I can't wait.

http://www.mechlivinglegends.net/

G

If you really want to know how badly I want to see a mechwarrior movie consider this, I've already writen the script! I've even fixed the small isues that keep people from geting into the story. I have played all the mechwarrior games, and no I don't mean mecha like so many others. This is because I enjoy the games and the fact that it is not as far fetched as so many other games like ac or crome dogs. I am also a reader of the books. Currently I am on heritics faith in the dark age saga.
Well that's enough rambleing on about how much I want to see a good mechwarrior movie. I am simply casting my vote that a mechwarrior movie be created. However, special considerations have to be made in the process to not only pay tribute to the origonal story, but get fresh minds conected to it.
I am still waiting for the next game to come out. I just hope it's better that mechassault. That game was just too rushed to make a buck, and turned too many people off to mechs.
I would like to be a part of the making of the movie or game if possible. Even if I'm not I will still enjoy the movie or next game.
P.S. TO any rip off artists that try and steal my ideas for the movie away remember. If you scan my computer you won't find it because I keep it on a piece of removable media. I've also poor man's copyrighted it. Food for thought.

Rx__

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
The battle for the IP rights goes on.
It is too bad that most marketing groups only understand the quick buck mentality.
MW 5 was killed because marketing realized most players would be over 25.
Yep, your over the hill and need to be put out on the farm in the minds of gaming companies.

I saw Eugene Wesley "Gene" Roddenberry on tour years ago at college after Star Trek was cancled.
His tour was just a small article in the Big 8 school paper, the place was packed of course.
A summery of Mr. Roddenberry discussion was:
- Polls showed that Start Trek was a huge success considering the numbers that watched
- Advertisement (he called it soap Tide, Procter And Gamble, Cheer...) was geared for 8 th grade education
- Star Trek had an average "college education" audience
- From a record number of actual letters - the public wanted stories with some intelligence
- Soap advertisers complained that they spend money, college educated people did not go and buy their products
- Soap advertisers would not even consider changing advertisement to meet the audience mentality
- Star Trek was cancled due to advertisement sponsors.
- TV porducers only listen to advertisers, they won't consider anything else

Today, we see the tame thing with Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo and the rest. It is the Hollywood mentality.
Short term profits rule. Look what it did for the Newspaper industry.

I want to see a movie and new media with a story as well.
Whatever investor figures this out will do much better than Transformers or even Star Wars.
Some justice: Steve Speilburg is reported to have a billion or more tied up in that Ponzi scam artist. All just part of a "quick buck" mentality that rules Hollywood. He looked at the quick buck instead of looking at the content of the investment.

G

Somebody should just remind them that the fan base of old will most likely bring thier kids, and the special effects will pull in the teenagers. THey will get their quick buck. However, a mech movie will only open the flood gates. SOmeone should remind these folks that we are not older, we just have more money to spend(hint hint).

Margaret Miller

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I am alifelong Battleteck or Mechwarrior fan, since I first discovered the game. The mechwarrior movie will pull in all of the fans, like me, of the game. The studios will make their money back in a hurry. As the above postt suggest the mackwarrior are older and have more money to spend. I have heard rumers of a Battletech or Mechwarrior TV series to go along with the movie. I for one would like to see the both, movie and TV series. Thank you.

Rx__

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Aug 2009 - News
Now, this is not the same old BattleTech (Mech Warrior) you were use to. Developers have a huge MOD added in.

They have been wonderful enough to support the Virtual Reality Cockpit Simulators seen at VirtualWorld dot com as well.

Some more big news as well... more later

MechWarrior to be Distributed Free on BattleTech.com

In honor of BattleTech's 25th anniversary, Smith & Tinker has authorized MekTek.net and MekTek Studios to distribute MechWarrior 4 (along with its expansion packs) completely free. For years, MekTek.net has been the central point for online distribution of MechWarrior 4 expansion packs. Now they can provide the core game free to the fans as well. Keep an eye on BattleTech.com – the free download will be available soon!

Rx__

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
OK, has anyone seen the Smith & Tinker barker for the new version?
It will be released on both XBox and PC.

UTube has a new barker of it as well.
Maybe later, I will be allowed to discuss some of the new generation features that will change the way you pilot a Mech.
Virtual World dot com - community forum has up to date information available for release.
I will give you a hint - its time for a PC Hardware upgrae!

Rx__

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
August 2009 GenCon
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grendel3100/3834791725/in/set-72157622079694516/
August 2009 GenCon - Next generation BattleTech Developers (see poster at booth)
Also: there were 12 BattleTech Networked Virtual Reality Cockpit Simulators at GenCon
with the next generation software release.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grendel3100/3835562772/in/set-72157622079694516/
For more of the story visit VirtualWorld.Com - community forum

bob_16

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
They should make the MECHWARRIOR movie. Main reason is that it would be better than most. Who knows this could cause the game to rise to new heights and the movie has the ability to become a block buster. Everything is already laid out for them. Just pick a house to do it on during a time period and show the movie from there point of view. You could do a movie on every house and tie them all in for a final movie where the fans vote for what house comes out on top of the final movie. You could even make alternate endings so each house comes out on top. Better yet show a different ending to the final movie at all the movie theaters so people can talk about how they watched this house win and this was the result. Its just my opinion and thoughts.