MechWarrior Online Goes Open Beta Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
stoked! I recommend folks to try the CryEngine 2 *Crysis* mod, MechWarrior: The Living Legend. It is a multi award winning mod.

This game is running on CryEngine 3 and has funding behind it. It is going to be even better.

gravewax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
disappointing news. The game is not yet in a state that could be considered even close to polished enough for open beta. The majority of functionality and mechs are still missing. closed beta players are definitely a little fatigued but that is due to the really limited amount of game functionality that has been implemented for testing.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
If you got "fatigued", take a break! It's closed testing after all and we knew that our progress wouldn't stay, no reason to grind out hardcore every week.

I'm super pumped for just getting the C-bills needed for when community warfare starts. I'm hoping for grabbing 100 million in the bank before spring.

G

>It features a real-time mechanic where 24-hours in the game equals to 24 hours in the real world (January 1, 2012 is equal to January 1, 3049)

How does that even work? If it takes a few days to travel to a combat zone does that mean we spend the whole game looking at the inside of a transport?

I'm really wanting to pilot a Warhammer again, was my all time favorite mech. Never liked the 100T mechs, move far to slowly for my own tastes. Prefer mechs in that are 80T or less, all time favorite being a Shadow cat loaded with MASC, ECM and some ER L.Lasers. Run in passive mode and snipe at the bigger mechs then run the f*ck away when they try to shoot back.

Really interested in how their going to balance out long range warfare or if it'll just turn into a "who has the most guns and circle strafes the best" nightmare.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]I'm really wanting to pilot a Warhammer again, was my all time favorite mech. Never liked the 100T mechs, move far to slowly for my own tastes. Prefer mechs in that are 80T or less, all time favorite being a Shadow cat loaded with MASC, ECM and some ER L.Lasers. Run in passive mode and snipe at the bigger mechs then run the f*ck away when they try to shoot back.Really interested in how their going to balance out long range warfare or if it'll just turn into a "who has the most guns and circle strafes the best" nightmare.[/citation]

Using cover effectively is really your only defense. You can equip an AMS system to help down LRM's as they come in, but ER PPC or Heavy Laser or Gauss Cannon is going to rock your boxxers from a distance.

That's why you use passive radar. You don't show up on radar and nothing can target / lock onto you unless your way closer then you should be. It requires you to stalk your target and use terrain to get your shots in when needed. The down side is that you can't lock onto or target anything at range either, your 100% reliant on manual aiming which can be tricky. It's also why I'd be using ER L.Lasers vs PPC / Gause / LRMs, infinite ammo and instant travel time to target. It may take a while but you'll eventually down a bigger more heavily armed mech, or in many case's you provide enough of a harrying effect that your team mates can finish the job.

Of course that tactic only works if the developers implement the full rule sets for things like Passive / Active sensors, ECM, MASC, JJets and so forth (MASC is so you can GTFO should you be caught in a bad situation)

Ohh and forgot to add, this also requires that there is actual terrain for you to take advantage of. You absolutely need mountains / valleys / forests and such, not a flat brown wasteland where you can see everything for 2km. The SS's so far have shown rich terrain so I'm operating under the assumption that there are plenty of places to hide and stalk / take shots from.

G

It's "Mechwarrior: Living Legends"
Not "Mechwarrior: The Living Legend"
:)

Although the last patch is having teething pains and they still have a lot of content and game modes to introduce, the current gameplay mode is still extremely fun and well worth testing during Open Beta.
And sorry in advance if you drop on the wrong side of a match from me :D

@borisof007, the fatigue they are referring to is the resetting of Xp, in game cash, 'Mechs and items throughout Closed Beta.

Although it is perfectly understandable as we are still in Beta, losing your carefully crafted 'Mech and its optimal loadout, along with all your Xp perks and cash is a quite demoralizing experience.
The devs have stated that, once Open Beta starts, there will be no further resets to Xp, in game money, 'Mechs or items.

G

omg omg OMG!

what can I say... I can't wait!

I'll look into that MW:LL when I get home, nice suggestion.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
This game is a grind to get your first mech. I personally didn't buy into the founders packs. I would have quit if I didn't have friends who wanted to keep playing. The free mechs aren't very good imo. I saved up about 5million cbills (free money) to buy a centurion. The game went from a pain to play when other people drug me into it, to being fun as hell, I can no longer get enough. (Never been into mech warrior games before, for what it's worth).

[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]I'm not sure how I feel about putting money into a game that has an "infinite amount of work to be done"[/citation]
Good news, you do not have to!
As a Free to Play (F2P) game, MWO is 100% free!
If you do chose to support the devs though, and you really should, you will be rewarded with instant 'Mech purchases and/or faster Xp/C-Bill accumulation.

I figured it would be. The MW series of games were designed to give an "intense close combat" experience so everything is / was balanced around "one man, all alone, out to save the universe" with it turning into a series of ever larger mechs until the end were your forced to field entire lances of heavy ~ assault mechs with maxed out armor, or get destroyed. It was fun but it got old after awhile, online play was just people abusing the hell out of the games close-combat-super-mech balance with circle strafing and quad PPC / three UAC-20 alpha strikes.

I was really hoping for a MW game that focus's on tactical combat. Utilizing terrain and tactics for your advantage, instead of just charging in (as if 30~40kph was actually fast) with the biggest mech loaded with the highest offensive power possible and unloading in a slug fest to see who get the most critical hits. I would love to see more use of the C3 / BAP / ECM stuff, long range engagements, team support roles and objective accomplishment.

G

I just thought of a VERY important question. Is the Urban mech in MWO?

Sad news; the devs have stated that they are pushing back Open Beta due to current feedback from the Closed Beta testers :(

We have decided to push Open Beta back. We agree that the game's current state of stability is not allowing us to get the latest experience across to new and veteran players alike. This is a short push back on the date and will depend on the stability and playability of the build.

G

Still haven't decided to pay for closed beta access?

Angry that Open Beta got pushed back?

Your computer can't run the game right now?

Always though Jenner (light, scout mechs in general) suck in this game?

You love being the light mech but you always end up dying or doesn't feel like you're making a difference?

Well, I started my gameplay diary and will be uploading as much gameplay as I can. I am not a pro gamer or had any experience doing commentaries, so I may be a bit rusty.., but I know I will improve as game goes on

I hope you guys enjoy and I'm open for any suggestions.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MWOsizz

Also, follow me on FB!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/MWOsizz/284038218374008

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Sounds like you might love this new version. :sol: The maps also affect your game due to each map's terrain and environmental conditions. :wahoo: Unfortunately, if you are not already in the closed beta, you have to either wait or buy a founder's package.

I can wait a bit, though please tell me they'll have the Warhammer. My absolute favorite mech ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.