MechWarrior Online Open Beta Finally Launches Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw03878

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Exac[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]I still don't know why they call it an MMO if it's just 7 on 7 team deathmatches.[/citation]

Exactly.. there's nothing massive about it.

Furthermore, SLI is still not supported.
So basically anyone with aging gaming rigs can't run it respectable.

kelemvor33

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Wait, so it's not an MMORPG? You log in, have a match and then it's done? Then you repeat it? hmm.

I remember playing Mechwarrior when it came free with my Matrox Mystique video card about 20 years ago. heh heh.

hippee921

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Basically this is a Bad version of Quake Live. There are no Tutorials, no where to change Keyboard bindings. Nothing is explained at all. your locked in to 4 mechs unless you want to pay for more. When I first heard about the game I was crazy Excited. Then When I got into the Beta I was even MORE excited. Then I played the game and then I was a Sad Panda.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]hippee921[/nom]Basically this is a Bad version of Quake Live. There are no Tutorials, no where to change Keyboard bindings. Nothing is explained at all. your locked in to 4 mechs unless you want to pay for more. When I first heard about the game I was crazy Excited. Then When I got into the Beta I was even MORE excited. Then I played the game and then I was a Sad Panda.[/citation]

you exagerate things drastically !!!!!

1. you are not locked into the 4 trial mechs, on open beta players will get a starting income to buy a regular mechs.

2. you don't have to pay real money for new mechs you can use in game currency

3. you did note it was CLOSED BETA, you can't join a closed beta or even an open beta and expect a fully polished game. you might as well stamp "I'm an idiot" or your forehead. if you expected a fully fleshed out game experience.

4. you must have got into the closed beta MUCH MUCH earlier than the current incarnation, because there are full options for altering your key bindings, and there is even controller suport now for joy sticks that allow top change bindings. from the sound of things, a lot has changed since you tried teh closed beta , because i'm in the closed beta and the game you describe jsut isn't what i've been paly all morning.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]O snap that WAS 20 years ago... wow now I feel old[/citation]

Ahem, 16 years ago, the mystique didn't come out till 96 and the mystique 220 in 97....... But then again, I did have the original non accelerated version in 95 :D. And was beta testing Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries in 96-97 online.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
MechWarrior2 was released in 1995... I remember coming home from the store with a copy... And then buying the "Net Mech" add-on which allowed for LAN plan. Some of the best memories ever.

On a note: MWO online is loads of fun, and you do not need to spend a dime. Also, it's 8 on 8 game play - for now... remember, it's in BETA and there are still A TON of things they need to add into the game. This game is still very early, but already it's a lot of fun.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I wasn't impressed by what I saw on YouTube. The game looks poor, appears painful to play, and doesn't stand out like Hawkin does. I think Mech Warrior needs some major creative help and inspiration. Watching mechs fire hitscan lasers at each other, knock each other over, and wander around uninspired environments isn't appealing. There is still time to fix this though! I want to see the devs address these concerns.

tinman12

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
It won't be worth buying when it comes out. It's a sandboxed wash and repeat arcade style game. Tons of technical pre game stuff if you like stats but the game itself is very disappointing.

You want a really throwback reference? I used to play Battletech MUSE online, that was text based combat and that was still more in depth and open world community than this is.

shakl

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
I completely forgot about my MechWarrior Online install once I started playing the Hawken CB. Night and day in terms of fun for me. Actually, this article reminds me that I'll no longer be needing that inferior Mech game taking space on my drive.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I suspect that most of this game's haters are Gen Y World of Warcraft fans. They have their panties in a wad thinking about the Panda.

Too bad none of you will be up to Gen X standards for FPS, but I suspect you can beat us at Angry Birds.

w0_od

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I am in the closed beta.

It is not ready. Every patch breaks new stuff or introduces new bugs. For example, they lauded the new items like Double Heat Sinks in the latest patch. It was broken and not working as intended. It took all off 1 game for folk to notice it was not working . Exaggerated repair costs. Nope no dev spotted that Armour repairs were running at 100% and no 1.5% ...

Add in that there is only 1 gameplay mode, 7/8 vs 7/8 and 3 maps and that their environmental effects on heat etc were borked and you get a sense that PGI is simply not experienced enough, large enough or skillful enough to handle the development of the game.

i feel sorry for so many who will come in and then feel cheated or let down by the developers on one of the oldest Mech franchises around..

James296

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]I see a lot of Cod fans here, those who play Hawken.Good job at supporting the downfall of gaming.[/citation]

actually Hawken is not like Cod....that's all I'm allowed to say > Hawken NDA -.-

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]I see a lot of Cod fans here, those who play Hawken.Good job at supporting the downfall of gaming.[/citation]
A little-known (these days) requirement for a game is for it to be fun and entertaining. Constantly getting knocked over for a ridiculous period of time as a part of game strategy is definitely not fun.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
They don't really have to go and make it a mmo. Just redo the old games with campaign and multiplayer. Tons of people will buy it. That's how COD does it. Rinse and repeat. Cha and Ching.

G

If you like mechs or Battletech also try:
Mechwarrior: Living Legends

G

I shall try this tonight!

As for MW:LL, It's way too early in the mods development and it just doesn't feel good. It feels like Crysis, except with mechs. Not that it's bad or horrible or anything, it' just not quite there yet.

G

This is a fantastic game, provided that you take the time to learn the tactics and weapons of the game. As someone mentioned above though, their patches need serious work. Each new patch break new things. They need a little more internal testing before pushing the patches to beta testers, as I can't see how things things are being missed internally if they had been played at all.

I really hope that this game does well and is given a chance and is not judge based on its BETA(not demo as some people confuse it with). MWO really needed more time in closed before being pushed to open. If they wanted more people to be testing, they should have sent out another round of invites for the closed. Too many take Open Beta to mean demo and are given the wrong impression sadly.

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I hope it fails miserably, like Old Republic. I'm so tired of these massive $ efforts to make games which require you to sacrifice your real life, leaving big, multi-year holes in your existance. All they want is money on a WoW scale, from a milk cow. So they try to make you addicted, like tobacco companies did with cigarettes, and drug dealers do with cocain and heroine.

Long live single-player.

Status
Not open for further replies.