[SOLVED] Meddling 2-Year-Old Causes Strange System Failure

akbunnell

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
My wife recently let my two-year-old son press the power and reset buttons on my desktop tower many times indiscriminately while I was at work.

I went to power the system on when I got home. It spun up fine, posted with the single beep it always does, and then showed the Windows 10 logo and the spinning circle loading image. Then, right when it would normally change over to the login screen, both monitors lost the signal and displayed their "searching for connection messages." I could still hear the computer humming along, but the screens remained blank. I pushed the power button and tried to hard reset it, but no matter how long I held it the computer would not power off. The reset button also would not work. I had to switch off the power supply itself to get the system to power down.

Thinking it might be some residual electricity/static issues, I reset the SmartStrip my computer is plugged into, unplugged the power supply, unplugged the monitor cables, and plugged everything back in. Same problem.

So I dug out my Windows 10 recovery disk, entered the BIOS and forced a boot from the disk. The Windows logo came up with the loading screen, and as soon as it would normally give me recovery options, the monitor dropped the signal.

I saw a post online that mentioned using my mobo's onboard video, but I have a Biostar TA990FXE, and as far as I know it doesn't have that. I also saw something about taking out the CMOS battery, but I really don't want to have to reconfigure the entire system if I don't have to (overclocked RAM and whatnot).

I have an AMD 8350 and a relatively new GTX960 GPU that has been working like a charm for months. I am thinking it might be a GPU driver issue, but am not sure how to get around that at this point since I need to be able to see the screen contents to make any changes! I would try safe mode, but there is no longer a way to boot into it with a keystroke in Windows 10.

I am stumped. Thoughts?

Update: I have tried replacing the CMOS battery, reseating the RAM, draining the system of all power overnight, checking the GPU (lights and fans all work) and disconnecting the front panel buttons and shorting the power on. No luck with any of it. I have tried multiple boots, but never get the option for safe mode. When it does try to boot from the hard drive, it says "Windows is Starting Repair Mode" or something to that effect, but the screen blanks shortly after. The same thing happens with the CD Drive- it begins to boot from it and I get the Windows symbol, but the screen blanks before I can do anything. I'll try creating a recovery USB later tonight. The weirdest thing to me is the fact that the front panel buttons don't work except to power the system on.

Update: I tried the USB recovery drive, and the system handled it the same as the CD. It began to load, then the monitor dropped the signal and remained black.

Solution
If you can boot from USB, you should be able to get to recovery options and one of those should be safe mode. Also, Windows 10 I think after 3 failed boot attempts will usually allow you to boot to a recovery mode which should also allow access to safe mode.