Mediacom router broadcasting guest wifi networks

Sep 17, 2018
The other day I noticed someone trying to link their phone to my Roku stick. Since I was the only one home, I thought someone else might be using my wifi, and combined with my wifi going over data limits the last few months despite not thinking that I was using that much, I decided to investigate. I looked at the connected devices and nothing looked out of place, but since maybe they just weren't connected at the moment, I decided to change my wifi password anyway, since it was previously set to the default from when the cable company hooked it up. After changing it, I obviously had to reconnect all my devices, and when I opened the tab to find my network, I noticed several unsecured networks with full wifi strength, called things like "guest_0_2" or "guest_0_3." Suspicious why they all had full bars, I connected to one of them and went to the default gateway address, and found that after logging into the router, this was my router. Moreover, once logged into it, you can navigate directly to a page where it shows a plain-text version of my WPA2 network password. This seems like pretty shitty security, and if someone was on my wifi, I'm sure this is how they got there.

I looked all over the router settings to see how to disable these guest networks, but I don't see anything. I guess the next step is to figure out how to change the router login credentials, but I still would like to turn off all these unsecured guest networks, in case they're contributing to my data usage. Any ideas?

Solution
1. make and model of your router is needed

2. guest modem access is more common than you think, when a company offers "free wifi" in town did you think they actually "paid and offered free wifi?"
It is common occurrence in the usa for years no. The only way to "remove " the guest account in most ISp provided router is to get your own (as per recommended by isp) and manage your own network yourself.

Comcast/Xfinity has done this " free wifi hotspots all over cities, those hotspots are guest accounts, but they do not charge for you to carry it.
I just dont want my neighbor to use my router for their internet use. why I got my own modem and router. and locked it down.
1. make and model of your router is needed

2. guest modem access is more common than you think, when a company offers "free wifi" in town did you think they actually "paid and offered free wifi?"
It is common occurrence in the usa for years no. The only way to "remove " the guest account in most ISp provided router is to get your own (as per recommended by isp) and manage your own network yourself.

Comcast/Xfinity has done this " free wifi hotspots all over cities, those hotspots are guest accounts, but they do not charge for you to carry it.
I just dont want my neighbor to use my router for their internet use. why I got my own modem and router. and locked it down.

Solution