News MediaTek rolls out first processors with built-in Nvidia graphics – aimed at bringing AI-powered entertainment to future vehicles

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
we first heard rumors that MediaTek was working to integrate Nvidia's graphics IP into its processors last year
IIRC, public statements from MediaTek go back even a year prior to that! It's nice to see them finally come to some sort of fruition.

Apparently, support for the Drive OS platform, CUDA, and highly competitive performance of Nvidia's next-generation GPU (possibly Blackwell?) is what made MediaTek license Nvidia GPU IP and software IP.
I doubt it. I think they were originally just looking for a way to differentiate themselves from other licensees of ARM's Mali iGPUs and possibly looking to mount better competition against Qualcomm's Adreno and Apple's iGPUs.

As for why they're targeting the automotive market, it's probably the less price-sensitive nature of the market. Either that, or Nvidia's Android support still isn't far enough along for them to use the iGPUs in a phone. I think Google started pushing vendors to use in-tree drivers for their Android SoCs, though I'm not too clear on the details. Nvidia's open source driver is still at beta stage, if that.