[SOLVED] MediaTek Wi-Fi 6 MT7921 Wireless Lan Card Performance Issues

Sep 17, 2021
Hi,

I just bought a new laptop:

Lenovo Legion 5 AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 15.6" (39.63cm) FHD IPS Gaming Laptop (16GB/512GB SSD/Windows 10/MS Office/NVIDIA RTX 3050Ti 4GB/165Hz Refresh Display/Phantom Blue/2.4Kg), 82JW004EIN

which has MediaTek Wi-Fi 6 MT7921 Wireless Lan Card.

I am facing all kinds of connectivity issues ranging from random disconnections to fluctuating ping (between 3-4ms to 200-300ms for google.com).

I have tried to check:
  • If there are any driver updates pending. (None)
  • Removed all antivirus software etc.
  • Connected ethernet cable to identify if Laptop software is blocking anything. (FYI the laptop wakes up like a beast on LAN)
I am so unhappy with the wireless performance that I am considering returning the product even though everything else is working fine!!

Now the most disappointing factor is that my current system (Windows 10) with WIFI Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 is working flawlessly on the same network without any such issues !!! The ping is stable and even when kept side by side it performs better connecting to websites, in downloads, etc.

My router: TP-Link N300 Wireless Wi-Fi Router, Up to 300Mbps (TL-WR841N)

Solution
I saw this at a friend's place. This wireless wifi 6 card and the n router didn't seem to work well together. Try reset router and resetting it up. They may be one of the issues were a wifi 6 router might be your only fix. I would reset the network settings on the pc as well.
I saw this at a friend's place. This wireless wifi 6 card and the n router didn't seem to work well together. Try reset router and resetting it up. They may be one of the issues were a wifi 6 router might be your only fix. I would reset the network settings on the pc as well.

Solution
Sep 17, 2021

Based on your experience did upgrading to ‎802.11AC help?
or
We need to go ‎802.11AX

Buying a router is as confusing as buying a pc if not more with some random numbers linked to the router name!!!!

TP-Link WiFi 6 AX1500 Archer AX10,Smart WiFi,Triple-Core CPU, Gigabit, Dual Band, OFDMA, MU-MIMO, Compatible with Alexa, Wireless Router

TP-Link Archer C50 AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Cable Router, Wi-Fi Speed Up to 867 Mbps/5 GHz + 300 Mbps/2.4 GHz, Supports Parental Control, Guest Wi-Fi, VPN

Based on your experience did upgrading to ‎802.11AC help?
or
We need to go ‎802.11AX

Buying a router is as confusing as buying a pc if not more with some random numbers linked to the router name!!!!

TP-Link WiFi 6 AX1500 Archer AX10,Smart WiFi,Triple-Core CPU, Gigabit, Dual Band, OFDMA, MU-MIMO, Compatible with Alexa, Wireless Router

TP-Link Archer C50 AC1200 Dual Band Wireless Cable Router, Wi-Fi Speed Up to 867 Mbps/5 GHz + 300 Mbps/2.4 GHz, Supports Parental Control, Guest Wi-Fi, VPN
You will need to ax or wifi 6.

TRENDING THREADS