Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Klondikekit

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
This is probably the most truthful review of the Medusa 5.1 Home headset system I have seen on the net...

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/medusa51home/6.htm

Sound quality is exactly as they say..

Set up is not easy and one can easily spend hours trying to get them sounding somewhat decent.. then you realize when you put on a real headset in compare just how bad those Medusa's really sound

I am an engineer and I know how to set up hardware.

The only thing that made them special in any way was the low end rumble kicker (which is missing the decent mid range bass).. other than that the sound was not clean and defined.

Any high quality digital headset will provide down to 5Hz and rumble without loss and all the mid range bass is included.

These multiple element headsets are a complete gimmick. They do not provide the same range and clarity of sound as a well designed/engineered headset, they are susceptible to interference, they are very poorly engineered for structural integrity in long term use (ears easily break off), they are analog and the amp is NOT an official Dolby surround product... its a cheap unshielded pass-through amplifier.

If you are looking for drop-dead, clear, realistic reproduction and surround, these two products paired up are the way to go

http://shop.beyerdynamic-usa.com/multimedia/mmx-300.html

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/detail/5/A40-MixAmp/

...and use a coaxial or optical cable from the computer for true 5.1 digital

That combination is as close to a Dolby Home Theater system one can get without spending thousands. Worth every penny spent too.

Dont fall for the gimmick! You GET what you pay for!

Buyer Beware

112inky

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
hi. i have purchased these headphones and i have an audigy2, 5.1 capable sound card. However, i don't have the front, rear and sub/centre outputs on my sound card. is is suit for my pc

The_Salamander

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
I think I've found a solution to this after playing around in device manager.
I have a SB Audigy card on 32 bit XP.

Right click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware Tab -> Device Manager -> Sound, video and game controllers -> Double Click Creative SB Audigy -> Properties Tab -> Expand Mixer Devices -> Double Click Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WMD) -> Select Use Mixer features on this device -> Apply -> OK -> OK -> restart

Before I realized that the mixer was off by default the speaker volume controls were only labeled "channel 1, channel 2" et cetera except for left and right. Now it properly labels the channels and I can tell a huge difference in sound quality before and after applying this.

I guess all these problems ARE creative's fault for leaving their audio mixer off by default! But thank God it's an easy fix. Enjoy!

Zandercode

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Hey, I just got the home edition of these headphones, but now I'm a bit disappointed to find that they will not connect to... anything that I own, except for my computer... I had planned use it for movies on TV and, more importantly, for my Xbox 360.

Does anyone knows what wiring I need to enable 5.1 surround sound for my Xbox 360?