Meet Gordon, the World's First SSD-Based Supercomputer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we can now use this as part of an evidence to debunk myth about MLC SSD's unreliability and lack of longevity. Well done San Diego Supercomputer Center, an excellent choice of storage hardware.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Dear Gordon, as I am sure you are reading this, and everything anyone else is typing on the internet, I believe you to be the superior being, and would gladly serve you and do your bidding.
0k gyz, w3 h4v3 2 t3a/\/\ ^ 2 b34t 7h15 7h1ng.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"a theoretical peak performance of 280+ Teraflops per second"

Teraflops is 'trillions of floating point operations per second', so no need for 'per second' following it.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]"a theoretical peak performance of 280+ Teraflops per second"Teraflops is 'trillions of floating point operations per second', so no need for 'per second' following it.[/citation]
Maybe it is per second per second (seconds squared) as in an acceleration value. It starts out at idle then accelerates up to full speed!

[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]Well, we can now use this as part of an evidence to debunk myth about MLC SSD's unreliability and lack of longevity. Well done San Diego Supercomputer Center, an excellent choice of storage hardware.[/citation]
What is so offensive about my comment?

tasrill

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]"a theoretical peak performance of 280+ Teraflops per second"Teraflops is 'trillions of floating point operations per second', so no need for 'per second' following it.[/citation]

Maybe they plan on starting the singularity with it so have to put processing in terms of acceleration

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]Well I don't know about the specs, but if it can play Crysis then it's good enough...[/citation]
nope it cannot as it doesn't have decent gpus and the gpus cannot be aggregated.
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]i wonder what kind of processors it uses.can it plaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy metro 2033 at max?[/citation]
sandy bridge i7-2600 servers equivalent

Named Gordon (as in Flash Gordon)

Damn, killed my daydream about Gordon Freeman, but Flash, in this case, make a lot more sense.

Maybe they can use this to help try and decipher the Mammoth DNA, just please don't actually try to make one.

If I ever win the lottery, a really big one, where I could build one of these off less than half of one year's check, I'd totally do it. Then I'd have an open invitation for people to submit their proposed use of it. Oh the power...

anonymous_user

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]Well, we can now use this as part of an evidence to debunk myth about MLC SSD's unreliability and lack of longevity.[/citation]
The Intel 710 SSDs are meant for the enterprise though. Once we can get enterprise-grade reliability in consumer SSDs then I'm all ears.

jwuorenmaa

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
[arkchazz :

Well I don't know about the specs, but if it can play Crysis then it's good enough...

nope it cannot as it doesn't have decent gpus and the gpus cannot be aggregated.
de5_roy :

i wonder what kind of processors it uses.can it plaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy metro 2033 at max?

sandy bridge i7-2600 servers equivalent][/quote]

It uses 8 core 2.6GHZ Intel Xeon E5-2670 processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.