Meet Moorestown: Intel's Atom Platform For The Next 10 Billion Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
[citation][nom]silverx75[/nom]Man, and the HTC Incredible just came out....[/citation]
Man, and I just got the HTC Incredible... ;)

And so the march of technology continues!

G

well we can only wait till amd gets their ULV chips out with their on die graphics so we can get a nice comparison.

williamvw

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]Why isn't this a 32nm product yet? If your concern (which it would be with said devices) is power consumption, shrinking the die can only help...[/citation]
Time to market. 45 nm was quicker for development and it accomplished what needed to get done at this time. That's the official answer. Unofficially, sure, we all know 32 nm will help, but this is business for consumers. Right or wrong, you don't play all of your cards right away.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
This is more exciting to me than the release of 6-core processors and the like because these advances produce tangible results for my daily use. Good work Intel!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Do we really need x86 plaguing phones now? Good God, why didn't they use a more efficient instruction set for this? Compatibility isn't very important with the PC, since all the software will be new anyway.

I like the Atom, but not in this role. x86 adds inefficiencies that aren't balanced by a need for compatibility in this market.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I wonder how this would stack up in terms of simple benches when compared to the atoms? Definitly for power this one is a sure winner by far but this will be interesting to see since the line between server, desktop, laptop, netbook, and mobile phone processors are getting blurred

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I'm impressed, and I hope this goes far. Sounds like some awesome performance for a x86 chip that competes to RISC chips.

I was considering buying a Sony Satio, but now I may rethink it.
1366x768 multi-touch S-AMOLED, magnesium case, 802.11 b/g/n, 3G/4G, miniDP, miniHDMI, miniDVI, microUSB, 64GB high quality flash memory, 12MP main camera with a 5MP front facing camera, a new turbo boost that pumps cocaine into the chip until it gets too hot when the performance is needed but puts the chip to sleep in idle, and a Linux based OS specifically tailored to the chip. Sounds like something I would pay a lot for. Complete desktop PC replacement. :)

Don't disappoint me Intel. I was hoping for 32nm 8 core LGA 1366 chips by now when I originally bought my i7 system, and you already disappointed me.

Now only if 5GB/month on 3G didn't cost $85/month in my area, never mind the texting/calling plan.

steddy

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I noticed that on the last page of the article there was a reference to "IA Architecture". Is that a typo, or did you mean to be redundant?

jesseralston

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
As mentioned earlier, has developed a tight allegiance to the Linux-based MeeGo OS, formerly known as Moblin before Intel and Nokia joined hands.
Missed something here that seems fairly critical to the sentence.

The next checkbox item is battery life. The reality is that we all charge our phones every night. Occasionally, some unforeseen adventure or bout of brain impairment might result in needing to stretch for three or four days, but it’s rare to need a phone’s standby battery time to last for more than 48 hours

I charge my phone once every week, i would be pretty angry if it didnt hold a charge longer than 48 hours.

erloas

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
I also only charge my phone once a week, if that. On the same token my phone is now 2 years old and still holds a charge for a week. A lot of people that charge their phone every day also tend to have phones that won't hold a charge longer then a day or two after a year anyway.

I also don't see the use of all these MIDs. I hardly even take my laptop out because I have a desktop and other then movement there is nothing the laptop can do that I wouldn't rather use my desktop for.

MIDs might be ok if they didn't cost an extra $30-50 a month to get access to the internet which I'm already paying $30-50 a month for for my general usage. They might start making sense when someone like Qwest starts included DSL and wireless together for a single reasonable monthly fee so I'm not paying twice for the same thing.

And unless you absolutely have to know the instant you get an email, and can't go more then a few hours without updating your facebook page, I don't see a daily usage for mobile internet. I probably don't think "boy it would be nice if I could check the internet while I'm out" more then once every couple months.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]will be things like gaming consoles, connected cars, or whatever, we’re still talking about multiple billions of connected handheld devices in use.[/citation]
Good luck holding a car in your hands!

Anyhow, the article seems mighty detailed compared to what we're used to here. Usually only don writes anything this detailed.

Nice read, though imo the first page looks very much like a bought article.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah great news I think about what this all means for me! The ultramobile sector growing so fast and becoming more and more preeminent. So much excitement at your hand disposal. I don't know, call me pessimist but when looking at those charts I think the best years for desktop computing started to decline a while ago, sniff. Why, well because I see that the huge market dictates where the real money goes for development. Up to these days the desktop enjoyed most of the investment and this is because the mass market wanted faster computers for everything. And now a regular laptop is powerful enough for 90% of the task most users do and will sell 2 or 3 or more times faster. Soon smaller mobile form factor PCs will dominate and I guess my beloved desktop and workstation parts will start to cost more and be updated less frecuently. I am sitting in front of a workstation all day long and I desire a faster progression for the workstations and no any sigh of slow down.

Anyway beside the progress in the mobile and ultramobile sector I picture in the not so distant future an ultramobile CPU with memory and graphics and storage system the size of a phone in a modular and stackable design and you will have some very serious and scalable mobile supercomputing power. But will mobile form factor CPUs ever going to surpass the need for a desktop machine? Has the computing revolution started from the bottom up and I just noticed?

williamvw

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]steddy[/nom]I noticed that on the last page of the article there was a reference to "IA Architecture". Is that a typo, or did you mean to be redundant?[/citation]Gah! Totally my bad. And I HATE doing that. It's like when people say "SSD drives" or, even worse, "flash SSD drives." You ever see a non-flash SSD? Sorry. I'll see if Chris can remedy.

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
This makes me very excited to see what smartphones Intel will power when I need to switch to an LTE-based device to replace my Droid.

Thanks for the in-depth hardware news that I expect from Tom's.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]Why isn't this a 32nm product yet? If your concern (which it would be with said devices) is power consumption, shrinking the die can only help...[/citation]
Asked and answered in the article. Here's the plan: READ... then comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.