Meet the new problem, same as the old problem.

adam_m94

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Hey guys, first off wanted to say that these forums have been highly educational for me.

So i decided to build a new pc with my tax return. With my old HP i had a problem with games stuttering or skipping that i had just learned to live with, but my newly built pc does it as well! I play a lot of Team Fortress 2, and the game (and all other games for that matter) seems to hang for just a second and then continue

The only carryover from the old pc is the cpu, whick im using until i decide on a new one.

So i guess my question is: Is my cpu bad or is there some strange voodoo in my house causing the problem?

New system:
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ stock speed 2.13ghz
Gigabyte ep45-ud3r Motherboard
XFX ATI Radeon 4850 512mb
500gb WD Caviar Black HDD
4GB OCZ pc-8500 Ram
Antec Earthwatts 430w PSU

Nothing seems to be overheating, and im running without any programs installed other than Steam and TF2.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

+1 to checking the RAM. Did you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturer's specs in the BIOS?

What resolution does your monitor run at? Lower resolutions rely more on a fast CPU than higher resolutions. Have you ever tried to overclock your CPU to around 3GHz? I have an E6420 that's been running at 3.2GHz for two years.

adam_m94

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Thanks for the response guys. I did go in and manually set the ram in bios. Currently i am playing on a 22in LCD @ 1680x1050. I did run the built in windows memory diagnostic tool with no errors, but ill give memtest a shot.

Also, could it just be input lag of some sort? i dont notice it nearly as badly with vsync turned off, but i get screen tearing like crazy.