Question MegaRAID only works when booting from BIOS ?

CognitionFailure

Reputable
May 17, 2021
I have a MegaRAID 9540-2M2 installed in my home desktop. It was working fine for a while, then I went and updated both my BIOS and the device firmware to the most recent versions.

After this, the drive stopped being recognized in Windows, being completely absent in Disk Management, and it shows in Device Manager with this error:

" This device cannot start. (Code 10) An I/O adapter hardware error has occurred "

It's a problem others have had with this card.

But sometimes it did work, seemingly randomly. Then I nailed down the pattern. When I go into my BIOS and have it start windows from the boot menu instead of going straight from POST or grub, it works just fine, no I/O error. Although storcli still fails to find the card. Booting Windows from BIOS so far gets the megaraid card working every time, and without it, the drive is always missing.

Common fixes I've seen on the internet: I already have CSM disabled in bios. There aren't any cables to unplug from the 2m2 as it doesn't use external SATA cables. Already tried disabling the device in Device Manager and restarting, no dice. Would welcome any troubleshooting ideas.

A small note, after I did my BIOS/firmware updates, my motherboard RGB strips stay lit up even when the motherboard is off.

If the question "why did you update your firmware?" is asked, the MegaRAID card wasn't working with my preferred Linux distro, and I was hoping the firmware updates would fix that. Whoops.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS versions.

Dual boot build?

= = = =

What is the requirement driving the use of the MegaRAID card?

RAID of any level (or "Mega"?) being applicable to only certain environments and specific requirements.

Consider also that if the card has failed to work on two different systems then the card may be faulty.