[SOLVED] Mellanox ConnectX2 not starting properly

Nov 30, 2019
Hi
I recently upgraded my PC to an ASUS X570-E motherboard and 3900X CPU.
For high speed networking, I installed the Mellanox ConnectX2 card, which I used in my old PC. It is however not showing up in device manager in windows or using lspci in Linux.
Connecting a cable between the card and my 10G switch does also not create any link.
I tried to move the card into a different PC and here it works fine.
The only other expansion card is my GPU, which is installed in the top X16 slot. The ConnectX2 card is installed in the second X16 slot.
I have tried to change the PCIE generation of the second PCIE x16 slot from Auto to Gen 2 to see if that would resolve the issue, but no difference.

Is there some kind of issue with using these cards with X570 platform or could I possibly have a bad/broken PCIE slot?

Solution
You may just have to get a 21st century card. I don't have any suggestions for the -2 card... You could look at some of the google results for connectx-2 uefi -- They mostly talk about PXE boot. But it seems like there is a lot of options you can tweak in the card using the Mellanox toolkit. Maybe there is something you can tweak.

Looking on E-Bay you can get -3 generation cards for around $40 ... I think I would upgrade.
Gen 4 cards are around $200

OR just switch to genuine Intel 10GE nics like a X520 -- $75.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi
I recently upgraded my PC to an ASUS X570-E motherboard and 3900X CPU.
For high speed networking, I installed the Mellanox ConnectX2 card, which I used in my old PC. It is however not showing up in device manager in windows or using lspci in Linux.
Connecting a cable between the card and my 10G switch does also not create any link.
I tried to move the card into a different PC and here it works fine.
The only other expansion card is my GPU, which is installed in the top X16 slot. The ConnectX2 card is installed in the second X16 slot.
I have tried to change the PCIE generation of the second PCIE x16 slot from Auto to Gen 2 to see if that would resolve the issue, but no difference.

Is there some kind of issue with using these cards with X570 platform or could I possibly have a bad/broken PCIE slot?
Do you have a Windows 10 driver for that card? I don't see Windows 10 as an option when I look at the datasheet.

Nov 30, 2019
On my previous system it ran on Windows 10 with no additional drivers. But even if it was missing a driver, it would show up in Windows as an unknown device.
As mentioned, on Linux it does not even show in lspci command

Nov 30, 2019
There does not seem to be an option for legacy mode directly in the UEFI BIOS.
However, I can find something if I enable CSM support and then set it to UEFI + Legacy.
However, the card still does not show, so I might have a card with a too old firmware or maybe these cards are just not compatible :(
Any other suggestions on what to try?

kanewolf

Titan
You may just have to get a 21st century card. I don't have any suggestions for the -2 card... You could look at some of the google results for connectx-2 uefi -- They mostly talk about PXE boot. But it seems like there is a lot of options you can tweak in the card using the Mellanox toolkit. Maybe there is something you can tweak.

Looking on E-Bay you can get -3 generation cards for around $40 ... I think I would upgrade.
Gen 4 cards are around $200

OR just switch to genuine Intel 10GE nics like a X520 -- $75.

Solution
Nov 12, 2020
Hi khit93, I have a Mellanox ConnectX-3 with X570 motherboard. I found it also did not show up in the device manager which is used to be fine with Z170 motherboard. I think it might be a compatibility problem with PCIE gen4 and gen3. I try to manually set PCIE generation from AUTO to GEN3, but it still did not work.
In addition, I noticed that the LED on the NIC is blinking as if the power is ok. But I found my GPU is working on PCIE4.0x16, it should be on x8 because another PCIE device is plugged in.

Dec 3, 2020
Same issue here with the connectx-3 and asus x570-pro, it would not detect (second slot, pcie 4.0 to cpu). For me, the 2 cards I bought would not work on a P67 system also.

Dec 9, 2020
Late to the party, but I have the same issues with an Asus X570 motherboard. The card did work in an older Z170 pro Mobo which I had to exchange, and since then the Mellanox connectx-2 card no longer is visible.

I have ordered 2 Intel X520-d1 cards now, in hope I can re establish the 10GBe network connection between my workstation and the backup server.