Question Melted pcie from PSU to GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2020
Yesterday I tried installing a Gtx 1660 super gpu and I kept having a display driver error. I went to go try another slot on my PSU and found out the pcie cord was melted into the socket on the PSU. I have a Corsair ax760 platinum base psu from 2013. It ran fine on my 1050ti. Only started giving me issues yesterday. Should I get a new PSU or a new cord and use a different slot? Thoughts?

Pc Specs:
Windows 10 pro
I5-9600k @ 3.70GHz
Asus GTX 1660 Super GPU
Asus Prime Z-390-a Mobo
8GB x2 DDR4-3200
WD_Black SN750 500gb M.2 SSD
Corsair AX760 PSU

View: https://imgur.com/a/D9oEoXH

Apr 15, 2020
We don't know whether it was a wiring, component, or PSU fault that caused this - get a new PSU.
(and pray that it didn't damage your GTX 1660 super)
Well I'm not too worried about the 1660 since it's under warranty for 2 years and I just bought it yesterday. And already took one back to make sure it wasn't just a faulty gpu.

Just a quick question here. Your cable in your picture is an 8 pin cable. The GPU in your picture has a 6 pin power connector. Did you connect a 8 pin CPU cable to your 6 pin GPU? GPU cables are 6+2 pin. Is that 8 pin cable a 4+4? or a 6+2? or a 8 pin that doesn't split.

Apr 15, 2020
Just a quick question here. Your cable in your picture is an 8 pin cable. The GPU in your picture has a 6 pin power connector. Did you connect a 8 pin CPU cable to your 6 pin GPU? GPU cables are 6+2 pin. Is that 8 pin cable a 4+4? or a 6+2? or a 8 pin that doesn't split.

My pcie is a 6+2pin the base pcie that goes to the PSU is an 8pin which is what is in the pic that was melted but it is a 6+2pin pcie

Good eye @Nemesia!
It actually looks like there's two GPUs. There's a fuzzy 8-pin connector on a second GPU below the top one.

@reckless94, please confirm your rig setup. The pic just creates more questions!

Yes there are 2 gpus in the pic. I was in the process of removing my old 1050ti and placing my 1660 in the slot. There was no power to the rig at all during the time on install

Apr 15, 2020
Well ima head to microcenter now and pick up a new PSU I suppose.. I'll update you all later with the results of the new PSU lol. Thank you all for replying and the info you gave much appreciated

Update! https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26729733 Got the new PSU installed and everything. looks like it all worked out. probably was just the pcie cord but why not upgrade the last thing in my pc. thank you all for commenting and helping me out i def appreciate it <3

I'm glad it fixed your issue! It was your PSU who did that to your cable. So it's a good thing you changed it before it died and possibly bring some parts with it.

Have fun with your 1660 super!

Reactions: reckless94
Apr 15, 2020
I'm glad it fixed your issue! It was your PSU who did that to your cable. So it's a good thing you changed it before it died and possibly bring some parts with it.

Have fun with your 1660 super!

yeah tell me about it lmao.. who knows when it melted though haha. glad i dont have to stress over it anymore though.. and yeah ill try to enjoy it.. we will see how streaming goes again. havent been able too for a few years due to a under powered gpu. thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS