Member name in strikethrough

Status
Not open for further replies.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
. . . what does that mean?

I am presuming either that they have closed their account or been banned, but really have no idea which.

I've now noticed member names in strikethrough text enough to ask.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I don't know why you say, NO, so emphatically, since one of my conjectures is correct, and I noted both were conjectures. You've confirmed that it's a self-closed account being represented by the strikethrough.

So, what happens when someone is banned? I would not imagine that's a purge where every last post they might ever have made is erased from the record, and that really shouldn't happen unless someone were a spammer.

You misunderstood me. Banning is totally different. The ADMIN/MODS can only take this action. If any user is banned, then there would be BANNED written under his user name, not strikethrough .

I wrote NO for some other context. I know one of your conjecture is correct though.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
OK, I guess I just haven't run across anyone who's been banned in my travels on TH yet. That's the same thing that happens on Bleeping Computer, but I know the forums software used there and on TH is not the same. The strike through is specific to here (or, I presume any Xenforo site).

I am already aware that it is only site administrative staff that can ban a user or suspend posting privileges temporarily (and I have no idea if the latter is used here). There are so many mechanisms that range from putting an individual member on moderated status (each post must be approved before going live) to suspending posting privileges (for a set time period or indefinitely) to outright banning - and various sites use or don't use these in different combinations.

A grayed out name and a strikethrough are a closed account, by the account owner.
When an account is banned it can appear with "BANNED" in a yellow box like "Herald" below the name.

Or at least thats how it looks when I check a non mod account.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Banned shows a little BANNED badge in yellow.
Strikethrough means the user deactivated (deleted) their account.

I would imagine some people that get banned deactivate their accounts, so you may see both.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I have yet to see any forum software where any administrative action is not reversible.

That's a good thing, too, as errors can be made. It would be a nightmare if one could not correct them on the rare occasions where that's indicated!

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

USAFRet

Titan
I don't know about the rest of the Mods, but my screen looks like this:
4ZL1VJy.png

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I do understand moderators have rules to obey and enforce. And i really can't get mad about that.

Nor can I. That being said there seems to be a very wide range of enforcement attitudes across the moderating team here, which I personally find disconcerting.

There also seems to be at least some inconsistency, too. I know I've been raked over the coals for "the tone I've taken" where I have witnessed other moderators saying almost precisely the same thing, in the same tone, sometimes repeatedly and it's allowed to pass. And I'm not talking about something being said in the role of moderator.

Moderators should be, in my opinion, considered nothing more or less than other members except when they are exercising their duties, most of which do not occur in public view. If a moderator can say it in public, and has, then other members should be able to as well.

And moderators can and should expect the same kind of push back as anyone else when discussing anything where they're just a part of a topic like all other participants. If a moderator "is to be feared" then they're not doing their job well.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Status
Not open for further replies.