Member name in strikethrough

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about the rest of the Mods, but my screen looks like this:
4ZL1VJy.png

What screen is this actually ? I can't seem to figure out anything. :??:

Nor can I. That being said there seems to be a very wide range of enforcement attitudes across the moderating team here, which I personally find disconcerting.

There also seems to be at least some inconsistency, too. I know I've been raked over the coals for "the tone I've taken" where I have witnessed other moderators saying almost precisely the same thing, in the same tone, sometimes repeatedly and it's allowed to pass. And I'm not talking about something being said in the role of moderator.

Moderators should be, in my opinion, considered nothing more or less than other members except when they are exercising their duties, most of which do not occur in public view. If a moderator can say it in public, and has, then other members should be able to as well.

And moderators can and should expect the same kind of push back as anyone else when discussing anything where they're just a part of a topic like all other participants. If a moderator "is to be feared" then they're not doing their job well.

We actually tend to agree on most things and try to take the same action with everyone to be fair. We typically discuss these things and it is based on majority consensus. Not every mod may agree with everything and we all have differing opinions on how things can be handled.

With that though again we do typically discuss these things before hand and come to a majority consensus on actions to be taken or how we handle things.

We are held to the same rules as members. Even with mod status it doesn't mean we are gods among men. We just have a few extra duties other members do not and a place to discuss issues that arise.

I would say the mod team does a fantastic job considering that if you look at a lot of tech sites comments and forums they are like the wild west, people insulting and acting like jerks, or they are so locked down that no opinion except what the moderation team deems correct is tolerated. These forums are pretty spam free and when we see people being out of control its taken care of pretty fast.

Lastly remember the mods do this for free. There are no direct ties to TH or Purch except the same user login regular members have.

F-16 Heads Up Display.
Actual HUD, not a video game.

My favorite fighter jet.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I will always give a hand, and a big one, to the moderators on any site, including this one. It is a thankless job, and I can state that from direct (and ongoing) experience elsewhere.

Whatever reservations I might have, I agree that overall the site is well-run. And that takes a lot of work on the part of the moderating team, for which they deserve sincere thanks.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Just want to clear something up here.

Theres various ways to display a name.

If the name is light gray strikethrough like Name that is someone who has closed their account.

If the name is black and strikethrough like Name that will be accompanied by a "Banned" tag and that means the person is permanently banned.

If the name is not strikethrough but displays a "Banned" tag, that means the person has been temporarily banned for one or more days due to rule violations. That persons account will return when the ban period is up.

As for me, I got the allusion to deleting memes, and I don't see how I was unfriendly there, I very nicely answered his question and I removed the memes because we don't want posts like that here. If you recall I also went out of my way to unban your account when it was done in error and to explain to you what happened and apologize.

We are a bit more strict here but not iron fist like I have found in many forums, but its because we want this place to be friendly to all who come. Take a look at many other tech forums on the net, they are pretty brutal. That said yes moderators do deliver a little snark which we are allowed to do, when people give it to us, we are human, we also aren't paid employees of Tom's, just members like you guys with a few more privileges.

If the name is light gray strikethrough like Name that is someone who has closed their account.

If the name is black and strikethrough like Name that will be accompanied by a "Banned" tag and that means the person is permanently banned.

If the name is not strikethrough but displays a "Banned" tag, that means the person has been temporarily banned for one or more days due to rule violations. That persons account will return when the ban period is up.

As for me, I got the allusion to deleting memes, and I don't see how I was unfriendly there, I very nicely answered his question and I removed the memes because we don't want posts like that here. If you recall I also went out of my way to unban your account when it was done in error and to explain to you what happened and apologize.

We are a bit more strict here but not iron fist like I have found in many forums, but its because we want this place to be friendly to all who come. Take a look at many other tech forums on the net, they are pretty brutal. That said yes moderators do deliver a little snark which we are allowed to do, when people give it to us, we are human, we also aren't paid employees of Tom's, just members like you guys with a few more privileges.
Just trying to make a bit of a joke.
There have been far more trivial things that have caused reprimand.

Colif

Win 11 Master
@Colif is the MOST lenient MOD out here, at least in my opinion. :p:bounce: ;)

Edit: Please add @jimmysmitty in the list as well. :)

I wouldn't say lenient but I came am from Australia and a lot of the things that get others looked at I just don't even see. Bad names, pictures, words? lol... but as you say, I have to go by rules and if I see anything out of place, I will do something about it.

I have also used IRC and Discord for a long time and although not immune to trolling, you really have to try hard to annoy me.

I mainly moderate the Win 10 forum and its rather peaceful in there compared to the hardware areas, people don't argue about which OS is best as much anymore. I don't have to be inbetween two people arguing about which GPU is better or whatever they argue about.

Mod team isn't a hive mind, we all see things from a unique perspective to each other, so you can't expect us to all act the same on forums. We try to where it counts...

edit: same day you say I am lenient I find a post where all I did was reply to a guy and he closed his account and hasn't come back?
My reputation does not precede me, it seems.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor

Actually in my testing only mods can see the difference between a temp and perm ban, normal users dont see the black strikethrough and banned tag, just the tag.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
But britechguy is saying he does see the black strikethrough hence this thread?

Just for the sake of clarity, I didn't specify the color, but what I did see was grey, not black.

I thought I'd just deal with the strikethrough aspect and didn't even give the color a second thought, presuming that two were likely intertwined.

Went to the thread Rogue Leader supplied and there is no strikethrough. Just standard red member name and the yellow oval badge with "BANNED" beneath it.

By the way, what will happen suppose I deactivate my OWN account now, then can you Moderators/Admins still restore it back, if requested from my side ?? What's the meaning of this text.

Under the profile section, there is a deactivate option, but it says the following. Does this mean I can still restore my Account back in near future ?

"" You may reactivate your account within the next 0 days after deactivation. ""

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
By the way, what will happen suppose I deactivate my OWN account now, then can you Moderators/Admins still restore it back, if requested from my side ?? What's the meaning of this text.

Under the profile section, there is a deactivate option, but it says the following. Does this mean I can still restore my Account back in near future ?

"" You may reactivate your account within the next 0 days after deactivation. ""

If you deactivate your own account, we as mods and admins cannot restore it. You would need to sign back in and reactivate it which is an option that is indefinitely available to you should you decide.

That is unless you request a permanent GDPR style deletion which is done by the admin team. Your account and info is scrubbed and anonymized, and you're not coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.