Membrane or Mechanical? (gaming and working)

HiDood

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
I AM ON A TIGHT BUDGET and don't know what to choose.
If mechanical: corsair k65 or razer blackwidow TE stealth essential.
IF MEMBRANE, gigabyte force k7 or razer deathstalker essential.

I am really worried about the noise that mechanical ones make because my sister would ACTUALLY PROHIBIT ME FROM USING IT if it disturbs her watching korean tv show and sometimes the stealth from chiclet keyswitches really helps as i am a late night gamer and could really benefit from late night web browsing.
Which one should i use? but if i really ended up buying a chiclet, is it good? and what is the point of changing anyways?
Thanks guys
George

Solution
I owned the G105 before my Blackwidow.. it is a sturdy, backlit keyboard that makes very little noise. I would have stuck with that board had I not wanted to get a mechanical one. It has macro functions, simultaneous key-press, gaming mode (blocks windows button & other keys from functioning during game), etc.
I do not like chiclet keys, so the Deathstalker was not ever in the question for me. If you want a wrist rest, you can get a therapeutic one on-line for a decent price that will feel better lol

P.S. you picked that guy's response as best solution? lol my efforts here are offended. He just gave you an opinion then skated.. didn't actually help solve your problem. :/

PCBuilderProbs

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
tight budget? Don't worry about mechanical, they are waay too expensive. People say it's good because you can feel the switches under the keys but it really doesn't matter, they're way too expensive and pretty much not worth it when regular keyboards are fine.

ronalcs

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
The mechanical have a nice feel to them but I haven't noticed any true difference in the gaming experience from the different boards. As far as if the K7 or the deathstalker decision I personally prefer the razor the the gigabyte, but that is personal preference.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I recommend membrane if noise is a factor. Even the "quiet" mechanical keyboards still somewhat loud. If you're on a real budget a basic keyboard like the Logitech K120 is an option. You don't get the extra features that you'll likely rarely use, but it's decent enough.

I have the original Razer Blackwidow (with Cherry MX Blue switches). It's the loudest keyboard I've ever used, but you can't beat the feel for typing (which I do a lot). Don't buy one of those.

Entomber

Admirable
For me, when playing MMOs my fingers would literally start to ache after a few hours pounding on a membrane keyboard. After buying mechanical, the feel of the keys and lower actuation force of both Cherry MX Red and Brown helped me to not murder my fingers. As for sound, if you practice with Cherry MX Reds then it's possible to type without sound, as long as you don't bottom out any keys. It just takes a lot of practice.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
what happened to your testicles??? does your sister have them? seriously, MAN UP. tell her that her Korean tv show bothers you and you'll prohibit her from watching it while you're trying to do whatever it is teen boys do.

mechanical keyboards are way nicer. try the Brown switch types. the blue is a bit loud, but brown is (for plenty of people) the right balance between feel and quiet.

HiDood

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
thanks guys, i am able to get a blackwidow stealth, but if it is not that good then i am better off with the deathstalker.
Finger fatigue, really? because i only play counterstrike for like 5 hours on weekends and i play other games with razer sabertooth(super awesome guys get one). i worked on the project report (slamming my fingers onto thee keyboard for 3 hours) and i am still fine.
And really i will benfit with quiet keys. that way my mum wont even hear me typing when i am not allowed to use my pc.
and i wouldn't "man up" because last time, my sister gave me a scar (i gave her bruises of course) just because i manned up.

I think i am better off with the razer deathstalker.

HiDood

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

But... that takes even longer than me typing with membrane. so why don't i just use a membrane instead?

NA_xGG

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
It really comes down to preference. I've used all kinds of keyboards (work, school, laptop, gaming, etc.) & at the end of the day, I prefer the feedback from mechanical boards. However, that doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. For example, I like to have my phone vibrate when I touch a key while texting, some people don't like that. It's really what you want, and if you like the feel of membrane & like having quiet keys, then get it! :) There's no wrong choice.

HiDood

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

But where i live (hong kong) they does not provide type tests. those greedy ba$tards only lets you place order, and pay up when you get there. no changing, no testing. that is it. and i have to save for 3 whole weeks to get an entry level mechanical keyboard like a corsair k65. so what do you think? should i get it?

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
yeah, feedback & feel are very nice. i find membrane keyboards to be too dead and have too short of a travel. a mech has more travel obviously so it doesn't feel like concrete. membranes are dead and hard. heck, i have one for local admin of my office server and every time i use it i want to throw it in the garbage - but i so rarely use it that i can't justify a nicer keyboard! argh!!!

i also need to have the vibrate set on my phone as touch-feedback. and i need to have 3 packets of salt on my fries. and mayo on a burger.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED

f**k 'em. find a different place to shop. but tell them why you're f'ing them. they need feedback too!

ask friends nearby what they use and if you can try it out. ask anyone that has a keyboard nearby! library, computer cafe, whatever.

NA_xGG

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

HiDood

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

Unfortunately it really isn't a viable option. There is only Rosewill rk 9000. I want a razer blackwidow TE but it is just expensive. it takes me forever to save that much.
If you can read chinese, go to this site and you will understand my pain. no cheap deals. and they are often more expensive than web stores. i can buy from web stores, but the shipping is like crazy. http://www.price.com.hk
I know someone went with the AULA mechanical keyboard. it is pretty cheap, but it is too big and the reliability is poor.
His keyboard didn't work after 1-2 months and it magically fixed itself after a month!

HiDood

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

Yeah... everyone around me only plays league of legends and they are like, f the details just get me to the game.
and f ing a store isn't really possible just because of that. i deceided to go with the ttesports knucker because... theres a wrist rest and it is ALOT cheaper.

NA_xGG

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

Less my headset, I have Razer peripherals.. I love my Deathadder and Black Widow Ultimate.
If you don't like Razer products, that's fine. But don't bloat his thread with a comment like that.. what argument do you have to back up your statement? What facts support your advice to "never buy Razer"?

That's like Android people saying "don't ever buy an iPhone".. why? It's a preference. If you LIKE what a company makes, buy it. If you don't, buy something else. But don't make an ambiguous statement without giving substantial reason.

HiDood

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

Razer products really arent bad. i have a razer sabertooth. it is VERY nice.
But, razer products are extremely overpriced. thats why the hate. and some people's keyboard broke down because of their irresponsible use caused ALL the hate.

NA_xGG

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

It just bothers me when people make posts like that.. it doesn't help YOU & it's really not needed. Sure, they may be priced higher than most people are willing to pay.. but so are certain cars, phones, clothes, etc. I don't hate Audi because they're overpriced & my Volkswagen (made my Audi) is cheaper lol

HiDood

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015

Yeah, like one time i spilled water onto a keyboard and it broke down. i blamed the build quality for it

NA_xGG

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

LOL ya, totally their fault. :D

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
your VW isn't made by Audi. but your future Audi will be made by VW. :) well, sort of. heck, VW now owns Porsche :(

back to keyboards - I try not to be brand myopic. I seem to like stuff (in general) from Cooler Master, Corsair, TP-Link, and probably AOC. but each of them makes stuff I'd avoid while other stuff that I'm VERY happy with. heck, I actually love my Thermaltake Poseidon keyboard, but don't have any of their other products. I once played around with a Razer mechanical keyboard in the store (I think it was mechanical at least) and it felt very nice. it was a bit expensive and had features I'd never use, so I didn't buy it. but brand has nothing to do with that.

NA_xGG

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

Exactly. That's why I hate when people say don't ever buy Brand A. Unless there are facts stating that NO ONE should use Brand A, a vague statement like that is counterproductive and isn't needed.