[SOLVED] Memory being used does not equal tasks in task manager

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
This is a question I've always meant to ask, but just never done it. How is RAM used and reported in a Windows 10 system?

2 days ago, I upgraded my system from 32gb to 64gb of DDR4 (3200mhz, though doubt relevant). This was due to my 32gb system frequently hitting 27gb used (in task manager) - I do a lot of large size photo editing, coupled with the fact I've got an unoptimised Lightroom catalogue with 124000 photos in it, something I'll have to deal with. I also have multiple browser windows with large numbers of tabs open, outlook running, occasionally I'll game playing memory hungry sim-type games, etc. Now I'm starting to look at video and have upgraded to a 47mp camera, I thought it was worth upgrading.

However at no point do the tasks running in Task Manager add up to the amount of memory being used. At a rough calculation, I'd say they added up to around 10gb max. (Chrome running 3.6gb, Lightroom 1Gb, MBAM at 253mb, Avast 182mb, Photoshop 159mb, Search Index 143mb, Outlook 107mb - nothing else over 100mb, and I'd be surprised if the rest added up to more than 2-3gb)

So why, 2 days after upgrading, am I using 38gb, and why isn't it showing in task manager?

I'm sure I realise that a system will somehow optimise and use what's available, but I'd have thought the system would at least report on it. Does it, just somewhere else? Can I see what's really using my memory? To be honest, I'm pretty sure it's Lightroom, but why is it only showing 1gb?

Last edited:
Solution
does the 38gb used show on the memory tab?

have you tried running rammap to see what might be using it?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap

Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = Ram + page file usage
Working set = actual ram usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click processes and run an av scan from within...

Colif

Win 11 Master
does the 38gb used show on the memory tab?

have you tried running rammap to see what might be using it?
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap

Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = Ram + page file usage
Working set = actual ram usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click processes and run an av scan from within the program.

Solution