Memory compatibility with B450

Aug 8, 2018
Hello, this week I purchased some RAM from a friend of mine and I was wondering if it will work on a ASRock B450M Pro4 motherboard for Ryzen.

I have 2 sticks of Corsair VENGEANCE RGB (16gb, 3200mhz) and I have read that some of the older AMD motherboards wouldn't even post with these memory sticks.

I was planning to go out and buy a motherboard/processor today but I won't be able to return it and I was hoping you all could tell me if this RAM will work (otherwise I will have to go with an Intel build)

Thanks in advance!

Solution
So, if you already have the memory, but not the motherboard and CPU, and cannot find verification anywhere of success using it (Which is doubtful since that's a brand new chipset), and it's not on the Corsair website as being compatible, and it's not on the QVL list or the members verified Ryzen list, then I'd probably forego trying to go with Ryzen and just go with Intel as we know it will work with that platform for certain.

Also, if this is older memory then even if you see recent compatibility it still may not work as there are OFTEN cases where there are multiple generations of the same part number that do not use the exact, or even similar, memory chips, ranks, timings and other considerations. There can be substantial...
It's not on the list of verified user collected compatible memory, but that doesn't mean it won't work. Honestly, nobody can tell you if it will work or not but compatiblity has grown greatly since the first year or so of Ryzen. Personally, I'd try to stick to higher end Corsair, like Dominator series, or G.Skill Flare-X or Trident Z modules as even though the compatibility has gotten a lot better, Ryzen seems to like the IC's used primarily on these modules a lot more than it does lower end IC's.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/1627555-ryzen-memory-ic-collection-thread.html

Aug 8, 2018
Yeah that is my concern. I can't find anyone who has tested this RAM on one of the new B450 chipsets. Do you think the B450 has better compatibility than the B350?

It does have better compability but that Corsair RAM IC chip was programmed for Intel chipsets.
The only way you will find out is by trying it.
So it might work, but you may have to run it at lower speed settings (2400MHz, 2666MHz, etc).

I got a ridiculous deal on a Corsair 3200MHz RAM kit (see specs below) that was also programmed for Intel chipsets.
I took the chance with the ASRock B350 and it is running without issues @ 3000MHz.
If you are not ready to take the chance them you should take the safest route: Compatible platform.
If you read Amazon reviews, some people have not issue with it on Ryzen and AM4 platform.

If you have a motherboard and other parts already, go ahead and try the ram.

Otherwise, I see two problems.

1. As mentioned, ryzen is picky about ram.
First check the motherboard ram qvl list and see if the ram you bought is on it.
Alternatively, go to the corsair web site and access their am selection app.
Enter your motherboard and you will get a list of supported ram kits.

2. You indicated 2 sticks. If the two sticks are not part of the same kit, they will not be supported and may not work.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
That is why ram vendors will NOT support ram that is not bought in one kit.

So, if you already have the memory, but not the motherboard and CPU, and cannot find verification anywhere of success using it (Which is doubtful since that's a brand new chipset), and it's not on the Corsair website as being compatible, and it's not on the QVL list or the members verified Ryzen list, then I'd probably forego trying to go with Ryzen and just go with Intel as we know it will work with that platform for certain.

Also, if this is older memory then even if you see recent compatibility it still may not work as there are OFTEN cases where there are multiple generations of the same part number that do not use the exact, or even similar, memory chips, ranks, timings and other considerations. There can be substantial differences between a part number purchased in 2015 and one purchased in 2018, or even within the same year if they came from different production runs. So if Johnny B was able to get memory kit X to work on motherboard A, it doesn't mean his cousin will be able to get another kit to work that was from a different production run, on the same motherboard and platform.

See here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3610013/amd-ram-compatibility.html#20562100

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try it. It just means, don't be surprised if it won't work or won't work at higher frequencies.

Solution