[SOLVED] Memory doesn't match motherboard?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Hi, I've recently bought new parts for my PC, and I got the Asrock x570 phantom gaming 4 along with the following memory sticks:
https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK32GX4M2B3200C16

Unfortunately I've made a mistake before purchasing and didn't read it properly, as a result I was confident that this model is in the list, but it seems like it isn't:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X570 Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp#MemoryPS

I'm able to push it up to 2666 by increasing the voltage to 1.35(which is the voltage that should be supported with 3200), I could try increasing the voltage further to see if it will possibly help, but first I'm not sure I want to do that, and second I'm not sure if it would even help.

Would love to hear some suggestions on what I should do. Should I return the memory(don't even know if it's still possible..), also if I'll return the memories I'll first need to get new memories as I don't have other memories to replace with.

Thanks!

Solution
Already tried that though :p

Well I actually got in touch with amazon and I have 30 days to return the item, I believe I could purchase another set of sticks and get it before I need to return the old sticks.
Do you have any recommendations from amazon? I actually searched and didn't find much in a normal price range.
I don't want 4 sticks of 8GB ram as I want to be open for future upgrades, I could be ok with 1 stick of 32GB maybe, but according to the QVL there were barely any options.
I did saw this which seems to be in the QVL:
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Sing...ords=CT16G4DFD832A&qid=1581207305&sr=8-1&th=1
But that is CL22? Not sure if it's really good...

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Don't go higher than 1.4v, you shouldn't need more than 1.37v at 3200Mhz. Try running 2933/3000Mhz at 1.35v with 16-18-18-36 timings. If those timings work try reducing it to 14-14-14-34. If you can't get stable memory OC at or close to the advertised specs, you either need to return the kit for a replacement, exchange for an AMD ready or compatible kit or refund to buy something else.

The highest possible timings didn't work on 3200/1.35v so I'll try going with damric's next suggestion.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
1.5v is only for pushing some very tight timings and frequency. You shouldn't need that much. JEDEC timings can still run 1.2v at 3200MT/s. You will probably need around 1.3-1.35.

What you might need is more SoC voltage which feeds the memory controller.

IF the X.M.P. timing table does not work, I'd look up your ICs with Thaiphoon burner and check them on the 1USMUS calculator so you can see what will probably work. Your tRFC is 99% the problem for Ryzen.

Can you please elaborate more on what I should do exactly? I looked into these programs, but couldn't really figure what you need me to try, can you guide me/send me a guide/tell me what to google for?

Don't go higher than 1.4v, you shouldn't need more than 1.37v at 3200Mhz. Try running 2933/3000Mhz at 1.35v with 16-18-18-36 timings. If those timings work try reducing it to 14-14-14-34. If you can't get stable memory OC at or close to the advertised specs, you either need to return the kit for a replacement, exchange for an AMD ready or compatible kit or refund to buy something else.

Well it didn't work with 3200/1.35v at the highest timings available, so I don't think it's related to the timings after all.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Why are you still trying to use 3200? You need to lower the speed to see if the memory will even function at the official AMD rated memory specs of 2933.

Sorry mixed up all the comments, what settings should I try with 2933? As far as I tried I can't go beyond 2666 even at higher voltages. Anything else I should change? timings?

Sorry mixed up all the comments, what settings should I try with 2933? As far as I tried I can't go beyond 2666 even at higher voltages. Anything else I should change? timings?
What is your CPU? If it's Ryzen 1000 series, it would explain why you can't run faster than 2666Mhz with a dual rank memory configuration. I was wrongly just assuming you had Ryzen 3000 since you are running an X570 motherboard.

Yep, you're trying to run before you learn how to walk and it's obvious that you are in way over your head. Do this.

1) Clear CMOS. This will unbork all of your wrong BIOS settings that you have entered so far.

2) Set DRAM frequency to 2933MT/s and leave all timings in AUTO, not X.M.P. This will give you looses JEDEC timings that are guaranteed stable with your CPU.

If you did not understand everything in step 2, then complete step 1 and return to step 2 after you read your motherboard manual and learn what the settings in your BIOS do.

3) Let system POST. Enter your OS. Use AIDA64 Extreme to verify your settings. Run the stress test for a couple hours. Run the cache and memory benchmark and save your results because this is your baseline.

4) You are now ready to overclock.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
What is your CPU? If it's Ryzen 1000 series, it would explain why you can't run faster than 2666Mhz with a dual rank memory configuration. I was wrongly just assuming you had Ryzen 3000 since you are running an X570 motherboard.

I thought I wrote it before, I'm running ryzen 2700x.

Yep, you're trying to run before you learn how to walk and it's obvious that you are in way over your head. Do this.

1) Clear CMOS. This will unbork all of your wrong BIOS settings that you have entered so far.

2) Set DRAM frequency to 2933MT/s and leave all timings in AUTO, not X.M.P. This will give you looses JEDEC timings that are guaranteed stable with your CPU.

If you did not understand everything in step 2, then complete step 1 and return to step 2 after you read your motherboard manual and learn what the settings in your BIOS do.

3) Let system POST. Enter your OS. Use AIDA64 Extreme to verify your settings. Run the stress test for a couple hours. Run the cache and memory benchmark and save your results because this is your baseline.

4) You are now ready to overclock.

Done a reset to the BIOS, set the freq to 2933, the rest were on auto, but it didn't POST unfortunately.
Seems like I'm only able to run up to 2666.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
post a bios picture of the ram option to see why you cannot set them manualy and use the fastst jedec settings they should run at 3200 in speed under memory tab dont go over 1,35 volts .

Are you referring to the RAM speeds? Maybe I'm missing something, but I can set everything manually.
Just want to make sure I understand before I restart my PC again :)

You'r waisting your time...
First, higher voltage than the XMP profile is useless if you are running XMP speed.
Second, your RAM is not guaranteed to run at XMP speeds because its not in the memory compatibility list of your motherboard.
Last, I would return the RAM as even if it boots at 2666 you might have stability issues and BSODs.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
You'r waisting your time...
First, higher voltage than the XMP profile is useless if you are running XMP speed.
Second, your RAM is not guaranteed to run at XMP speeds because its not in the memory compatibility list of your motherboard.
Last, I would return the RAM as even if it boots at 2666 you might have stability issues and BSODs.

I totally understand that, but there's also a possibility that I could get it working with some configurations, so that's why I'm still trying.
As for returning it, I bought it from Amazon, and I'm not from the US, which means that if I return the sticks it will be around 1-2 months until I'll get new sticks. I'm not sure I can allow myself that as I'm not using my PC only for fun. I could maybe order new sticks, and then return it, but I really don't know if they allow returns after so long..(I'm having the sticks for around 2 months already).

put the jedec manually with voltages and apply after check speed of it in memory tab .

What configurations should I set it to though?

I totally understand that, but there's also a possibility that I could get it working with some configurations, so that's why I'm still trying.
As for returning it, I bought it from Amazon, and I'm not from the US, which means that if I return the sticks it will be around 1-2 months until I'll get new sticks. I'm not sure I can allow myself that as I'm not using my PC only for fun. I could maybe order new sticks, and then return it, but I really don't know if they allow returns after so long..(I'm having the sticks for around 2 months already).

What configurations should I set it to though?
I was in the same situation I had an ASRock B350 with compatible 3400 RAM but then upgraded to a better 16 phases X370 ASRock motherboard which was incompatible with old RAM eventhough it has the same bios look and brand. I had BSODs and my PC would restart to bios showing 0mb RAM. I bought compatible 3600 RAM and it worked memtest stable 3200 14-14-14-28 because my 1st gen CPU can't handle more than 3200.

I sold my old RAM and motherboard together. So if you can't get it to work you can sell the RAM if you cannot return it.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
use the xmp jedec settings that is max ram could go .

I was in the same situation I had an ASRock B350 with compatible 3400 RAM but then upgraded to a better 16 phases X370 ASRock motherboard which was incompatible with old RAM eventhough it has the same bios look and brand. I had BSODs and my PC would restart to bios showing 0mb RAM. I bought compatible 3600 RAM and it worked memtest stable 3200 14-14-14-28 because my 1st gen CPU can't handle more than 3200.

I sold my old RAM and motherboard together. So if you can't get it to work you can sell the RAM if you cannot return it.
Well I actually got in touch with amazon and I have 30 days to return the item, I believe I could purchase another set of sticks and get it before I need to return the old sticks.
Do you have any recommendations from amazon? I actually searched and didn't find much in a normal price range.
I don't want 4 sticks of 8GB ram as I want to be open for future upgrades, I could be ok with 1 stick of 32GB maybe, but according to the QVL there were barely any options.
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Sing...ords=CT16G4DFD832A&qid=1581207305&sr=8-1&th=1
Didn't really managed to find any other QVL items on amazon for 3200.
I could possibly get 3000 instead, but for the price difference I'm not sure if it's worth it upgrading from 2666 to 3000.
Any thoughts? Thanks! :)

I could possibly get 3000 instead, but for the price difference I'm not sure if it's worth it upgrading from 2666 to 3000.
At this point, I'm pretty sure your CPU just can't support faster than 2666MT/s with your 2x16GB kit. If you used a single 32GB module you would be in the same situation. Running 4x8GB modules might allow you to run 2933/3000MT/s. I suggest you just keep what you have and maybe try lowing timings or leave it as it is if it works fine. Keep in mind that if you upgrade to 48/64GB in the future, you will still be stuck at 2666 or possibly 2133. You would need to upgrade to Ryzen 3000 or 4000 to use 2933/3200MT/s if you really feel you need the full speed of your memory kit.

Solution

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
At this point, I'm pretty sure your CPU just can't support faster than 2666MT/s with your 2x16GB kit. If you used a single 32GB module you would be in the same situation. Running 4x8GB modules might allow you to run 2933/3000MT/s. I suggest you just keep what you have and maybe try lowing timings or leave it as it is if it works fine. Keep in mind that if you upgrade to 48/64GB in the future, you will still be stuck at 2666 or possibly 2133. You would need to upgrade to Ryzen 3000 or 4000 to use 2933/3200MT/s if you really feel you need the full speed of your memory kit.

As far as I read the ryzen 2700x should be able to handle faster speeds, so possibly other sticks could run faster, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hussle expecially when I'm really not pushing my PC much.
As for future upgrades, I don't expect it to run higher than 2666 anyway. Maybe I'll really just keep my current sticks and work on timings. Thanks :)

Those are baseline JEDEC sticks that's why they have loose timings and 1.2v.

Crucial is the RAM stick manufacurer owned by Micron who makes the ICs.

Other RAM manufacturers like Corsair and G.Skill also buy bulk ICs from Micron. They sift through them and rate the best ones according to how well they overclock with additional voltage then they get put into bins.

So that's a stick of RAM that the ICs haven't been tested for any overclockability. Likely you would be able to tighten up the timings very much with a little more voltage.

A few years ago when Samsung debuted their 20nm LPDDR3 ICs and put them on a cheap plain green stick with loose JEDEC timings and low voltage, overclockers got ahold of them and were pumping them with voltage to set new DDR3 records and thus was the craze of the wonder RAM. Eventually G.Skill bought nearly all of the rest of those ICs and binned them into some of the best DDR3 since the defunct power chip and hypers.