Question Memory Dram Frequency Question

bigtalon

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
So I just bought me a couple of decent 8gb Gskill Ares 2400mhz ram chips....
My Dram Frequency is only reading at 666.5Mhz …. This seems way off as I normally get over 1000 Dram Frequency... Any ideas / suggestions.

compprob237

Distinguished
So I just bought me a couple of decent 8gb Gskill Ares 2400mhz ram chips....
My Dram Frequency is only reading at 666.5Mhz …. This seems way off as I normally get over 1000 Dram Frequency... Any ideas / suggestions.
DDR stands for "Double data rate" thus, the "DDR3-2400" G.Skill Ares F3-2400C11D-8GAB is currently running at DDR3-1333. The most likely cause of it running at this SPD (Serial presence detect) speed is that you need to enable the X.M.P. for the kit in the BIOS/UEFI of your motherboard.

Reactions: bigtalon

bigtalon

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
DDR stands for "Double data rate" thus, the "DDR3-2400" G.Skill Ares F3-2400C11D-8GAB is currently running at DDR3-1333. The most likely cause of it running at this SPD (Serial presence detect) speed is that you need to enable the X.M.P. for the kit in the BIOS/UEFI of your motherboard.

Yeah, Went into bios and had to set it manually to the Dram 2400 profile. Find it odd that it didn't auto detect the change though.

Unfortunately RAM does not come pre-overclocked as other RAM products since it is controlled by the motherboard. DDR3 boots up to a standard value of DDR3-1333, then the user needs to manually input settings or enable XMP Profile for the system to recognize the performance values as you mentioned. If the system can support it, it should run great. How did it go for you?

Reactions: compprob237

compprob237

Distinguished
Yeah, Went into bios and had to set it manually to the Dram 2400 profile. Find it odd that it didn't auto detect the change though.
It did auto-detect the JEDEC-defined SPD profile for the RAM that is a default "works with everything" profile. Afterwards, you have to manually go into BIOS and enable the memory overclocking profile that the XMP has stored. Yes, even though the kit is rated for a certain speed it is actually an overclock from the default speed and thus requires the user to enable it.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html
"Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) lets you overclock RAM..."

TRENDING THREADS