[SOLVED] Memory errors

May 18, 2021
Hi,

I have recently upgraded my PC with a new Z390 Aorus Pro + new i9-9900K and have been having system crashes in windows and games. After testing my memory with MemTest86+, both of my ram modules are giving errors. I had been using the same RAM in my previous sytem for 2 years without issues so I am confident that both modules have not become defective. I tried an older generic 8gb stick that I had kept and got the same results which are around a 30-40% pass rate on 3 different sticks of ram. Sometimes it passes but it will always fail during 'Test 7' - error count has been anywhere between 4 and 250. Memory is included on the 'supported memory' list for the M/B.

Things I have tried:

BIOS settings at default factory settings.
Tested with XMP enabled and disabled.
Tested all modules individually.
Tested in different slots (A1, A2, B1, B2)

After trying three different memory modules with the same results, I am inclined to believe this is a problem with my CPU or motherboard given they are the only components to have changed. Is there anything I can try to narrow this down further?

Sytem:

Intel Core i9-9900K
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
Gigabyte 2060 Super Gaming OC X3
2x8Gb HyperX Fury 2666Mhz
650W XPG Core Reactor

Solution
Hi Subonix.

After a motherboard and CPU change you need to reinstall Windows.

Are you using the latest BIOS for that board?

Is the RAM in A2-B2 slot?
I know. What about the BIOS version and the RAM position?

If you tried the RAM at default speed with XMP turned off and it gives you errors in memtest yes it could be the board or the CPU since the memory controller is inside the CPU.

I'd still update the BIOS if you're not using the latest version just in case it's a RAM compatibility issue.

May 18, 2021
I did update the BIOS to the lastest F12I when i got the board. RAM was originaly in A2-B2, tried A1-B1 and then have been testing individual sticks once I realised there was a problem.

May 18, 2021
I have my old Mobo so i'll probably strip my system down tommorow and see if it throws up any errors with the CPU. What a ball ache that's going to be. Should at least tell if it's my current mobo or not though. Appreciate the response.

May 18, 2021
Thanks ill try this. You would think leaving it on auto would be ok but considering how much voltage the board pumps into the cpu on auto at 5ghz you may have a point.

Well I ruled out the CPU and RAM by swapping the mobo with my old 1151 board and all is ok, 5 passes on MemTest so far. That leaves a defective board or very bad default settings. BIOS is upto date though.